Is the gamble of living in the Philippines worth the rewards?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Downsides of a seemingly ever changing immigration rules, driver license rules and not being able to buy a new vehicle register it and start driving it legally in a month are what would most effect me. Luckily I got a drivers license before the rule changed so hopefully I will remain grandfathered in but there is no warm fuzzy sense of security.

For some the monetary exchange rate would be high on their list, I'm sure. Buying property for me is not a concern because I'm a confirmed renter but some have an obsession with trying to own land in the Philippines, when they never really will.

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, robert k said:

Downsides of a seemingly ever changing immigration rules, driver license rules and not being able to buy a new vehicle register it and start driving it legally in a month are what would most effect me. Luckily I got a drivers license before the rule changed so hopefully I will remain grandfathered in but there is no warm fuzzy sense of security.

For some the monetary exchange rate would be high on their list, I'm sure. Buying property for me is not a concern because I'm a confirmed renter but some have an obsession with trying to own land in the Philippines, when they never really will.

Very valid concerns I'd say Robert. 

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bigpearl said:

Wow Queenie, straight from the heart and the realities of living in what we all perceive to be a god given paradise, I was going to post a quick reply and come back later after I digested what you say, live. (but I couldn't help myself) My turn is coming in a couple of years, my experiences over the last 6 plus years echo your concerns and trials, we have all had plenty and we are still here, the readers anyway. For me/us it is the people, giving and taking yes but not pretentious, (we so far appear to be lucky/blessed) our family is straight up and down, lucky maybe but before family and my partner I worked in PH. many times and learnt what the/how the general populous thinks, they are 98% good people, it's their/the system that stinks. Corrupt? Yes, Abused? Yes, Manipulated? Often by all those that see an opportunity. In Oz no different we just play a different tune. 

The system/protocols have to be learnt absolutely no different to any other country and their stupid (conceived by some) laws/culture that is the norm, the rules we must live by in our chosen country a classic, in Australia it is mandatory to have a pool fence around your pool thus eliminating infants/toddlers from drowning/s,,,,,,,,,,,,hello where are the parents? My house here in Oz on 50 acres requires a pool fence,,,,,, I have 3 beautiful swimmable dams on this property that need no fencing by law but our swimming pool has a fence,,,,,,,,,, all my 16 years of living here in S/E Queensland, most drownings occurred in dams on the properties, you tell me, that's the law

While in Rome? Embrace and live with it, as you are doing, me also too. That is the law and system of a/the country and one that I am going to embrace/learn and be a good foreigner and pay/give my retirement to. 

Queen you seem to be all over these things, love to talk down the track.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for the sensible and heartening words Steve.  As Deborah Kerr said in my favorite movie, "Night of the Iguana" about something that might happen to her in the future and how she will feel, she said "I'll know know it feels when I feel it."  I guess it's all in the process of doing that we learn to do it. 

Hope to meet you in the future too Steve.:smile:

• Like 1