Is the gamble of living in the Philippines worth the rewards?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Last Sunday when I went to church two little sisters came running up to give me warm hugs.  Fortunately even at my age the knees are sufficiently strong to hold up a couple of sweeties while enjoying Sunday service.  I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the service.  Sorry for the camera shake as I zoom.  I don't think you will have any trouble picking out which two "love sponges" I am referring to.  It is the Philippine people that keep me here, especially the children (and the parents who let me spoil them). :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike! We can never forget the sweetness and honesty of the children especially here! You're fortunate to be in a position to witness it often. I enjoyed the video and sharing your love, and what you appreciate in your life.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes! as always from Robert (usually) But those are things we CAN'T Change so they have little effect in Reality (and generally are only a concern when it suits us) to our Day to day Living, it is the things we can change that we should put our minds to

Let's sit and ask Ourselves, What went wrong Today? what could I have done to ease the situation. Although we have no real say in what happens here in the PI does this mean we are lesser people? NO! I say and it all boils down to not Integrating enough with our Fellow Locals,

We hide behind our Walls & gates and do little to help the Filipino Understand us a little better. Kevin (Sonjack) and I + others that come to my Purok have little problem at all ( the Local Sori sori is great to us) and the same goes for Where Kevin lives. We can all have a moan (And we do) but we should site and say HEY! what am I moaning about and the normal answer is them and us differentials these things we can do something about and this in itself will make our lives here a lot better I am sure.

One of my Dogs went missing on may 3rd Thieves got in the main gate but met the Dogs who gave chase ( they [The intruders] left the gate open) Now we all talk about they way some treat the Dogs but in 24 Hours Mine was back Home, all through people locally letting us know where it was seen and when. This is what I mean,  OH! it is the Foreigners Dog, so we went and Got him, But if we were not known in the Area who knows?

Long winded maybe but all these things come from doing what we can about things we can do things about and stop worrying too much about the Things we can't do anything about cos believe me. Attitudes and bureaucracy will be wherever anyone goes next 

Sermon Over :smile:

True words Jack. There's a saying "The more you do the more you can do." that might relate to what you say. Getting out in the community and even in small ways can get me often "out of my own head" and back to feeling better at times.  Keeping in a mellow tone and accepting things as they are is a choice, and a practice in living well here. Things to work on I's say to be happy here.  Thanks.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Thanks for the sensible and heartening words Steve.  As Deborah Kerr said in my favorite movie, "Night of the Iguana" about something that might happen to her in the future and how she will feel, she said "I'll know know it feels when I feel it."  I guess it's all in the process of doing that we learn to do it. 

Hope to meet you in the future too Steve.:smile:

Life, choices and things dumped on us are gambles, why live in a glove, embrace and learn, prosper and share as we do here, be wise and learn the good and bad. Ty for your post, made me and I am sure others re think.

Not been to Visayas yet but one day we will and look forward to catching up. Salamat.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

You and everyone here already know how I feel about this place.  Some even say that I'm a "negative thinker". The simple truth is that I call em as I see em. It's no paradise here, but it could be. I can point to other countries that were just as bad but have improved.  Some countries were devastated after a war but have prospered. The problem with the Philippines is the leadership.

One former president was quoted as saying something like, "it's better to live like Hell by a Filipino than live like Heaven by an American". Well, many try to blame the Spanish for their bad habits. Some blame the Catholic church. 

Reminds me of a quote on how to control people. 

1. keep them ignorant

2. keep them poor

3. keep them busy

Philippine leaders have managed two do this to their own people. while, their families become dynasties. 

Anyway, many expats are here because they cannot afford to live in their own country. Many come from places which are worse than it is here. While a few like myself are here because of their spouse. YEAH, but not for long. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

It's no paradise here, but it could be.

If you are fairly well off it could be.  The people with absolutely no money tend to agree with a lot of the negative things you have mentioned in the past.  Remember this quote:

There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am not there yet and all i have to go on is what i read here , see in the news and from other forums too.

There are many more people who call the Philippines but seem to go there for there holidays and to the same places they have been calling all year, i wonder why that is.

I have been to some wonderful places yes its where the tourist go and maybe its a little better , but also i have been to places where there is no tourist and i am invited into the locals houses and its great, but i am on holiday.

Living there well who knows, but as some has mentioned , the whole world is changing , where is safe , where is going to be called home , its easy staying where you was born everything seems to be safe within reason , the bomber may be in another city.

One thing that jumps out from a few of us is our partners happiness , if they are happy then we are happy, maybe thats just what they are wanting for us too.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are fairly well off it could be.  The people with absolutely no money tend to agree with a lot of the negative things you have mentioned in the past.  Remember this quote:

There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

Thats where we all differ "whats well off"

• Like 2