Is the gamble of living in the Philippines worth the rewards?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, jpbago said:

We have one something like that at the street corner

I suspect there are more households connected to that transformer than there should be.  I believe Jack's point is that he has his OWN transformer which is more than capable of keeping up with the supply to one household.  In fact it is overkill, but if you let them hook up more people to it you will have the same problems with the electrical supply as you have with the supply of Internet bandwidth.  Some days its great and some days the transformer cannot keep up.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suspect there are more households connected to that transformer than there should be.  I believe Jack's point is that he has his OWN transformer which is more than capable of keeping up with the supply to one household.  In fact it is overkill, but if you let them hook up more people to it you will have the same problems with the electrical supply as you have with the supply of Internet bandwidth.  Some days its great and some days the transformer cannot keep up.

Oh Yes! We suffered alot on varying Voltage over the Years so we decided to pay and have our Power line Moved from the Highway with so many Users and so Few (or smaller) Transformers to out side the Rear wall of the House. We did this because our A/C Supplier would not Commission our Aircons  because of the Big variances in Voltage that could burn out the Motherboards of the Units. Apart from Brownouts never had a problem

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a line
  • Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think that my light bulbs burnt out due to high voltage like in a surge when power was restored, not from low voltage due to a heavy load on the system.

"In contrast, when the transformer delivers full load, a voltage drop occurs over the winding resistance, causing the terminal voltage across the load to be lower than anticipated."

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

"In contrast, when the transformer delivers full load, a voltage drop occurs over the winding resistance, causing the terminal voltage across the load to be lower than anticipated."

JP I sent a like cos I liked the answer Buttttttttttt no too sure I really understand it, all I know is I DON't have any Problems

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Discussions of voltage and power in the Philippines always remind me of this scene in Taken. OK, I have a sick sense of humor!

• Like 1

softail
Posted
Posted

I think this is the best most informative thread I have ever read on any forum. Real boots on the ground experiences that are neither bitter expats or rose colored glasses new bees just honest "this is how it is" posts.  Thanks

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, softail said:

just honest

Wait till we have a beer or two,,then it really all comes out :hystery:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2017 at 3:04 PM, jpbago said:

No doubt. For a 60 year old to be with a 20 year old in Vancouver, it would cost about $300 per hour.

As much as that I would have to be celibate.

• Like 1