Public School in the Province is not free!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Public school starts on monday here in the province, and I think that it's the same in other areas of the Philippines too.  This past week we acquired the items for my godchild going into grade three, our niece going into grade five, and some neighbor children going into lower grades up to first year high school. My godchild and the neighbor children go to a barangay school, so no uniform is required, but our niece in the town's central school requires formal school shoes and socks, along with backpack, and an amazingly large list of required supplies. It pains me to think that although the public schools are considered free here to all students, without the mandatory requirements, I don't think school attendance is an option for some/many. I asked my niece if you're allowed to share crayons, paste, scissors among classmates, and she said yes, which is good. I'm glad that teachers are looking out to expand and teach as much as they can for their students, but even some of the simplest supplies are out of reach for many poor children. Let alone snacks, and a decent lunch to carry. Luxury items like a new toothbrush/toothpaste, a new backpack, an umbrella, soap and shampoo to look bright and shiny for school, are just that--luxuries. 

I know that realistically, I can't help all the kids that I'd like to, but even if one child that gets a "leg up" to the next grade will keep their education going it seems a positive. Even a new backpack, or a pair of shoes, even tsinelas could be a small help to a child.

Of course for those students attending a private school in the province, tuition is at the top of the required list. What is your experience with the schools here, and do you help any student/students with their school requirements? For those with children attending schools here, maybe you could give first hand information on how schools accommodate poorer students. I would think that city schools operate the same way, but I have no knowledge about that.

Queenie

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It's too bad that students attending public schools are required to wear uniforms and provide their own books. Uniforms should not be required. Poor families have a hard enough time fitting them with regular clothes and what about families with multiple children attending public school. No wonder there are so many street kids. The government should also provide books and other learning material for public schools. 

I read in the local newspaper here in Davao City that public schools here have very few restrooms (CR) for the pupils and the ones that do have them are poorly maintained and often do not have running water.

I see kids in the street here that should be in school during the school year. 

"Keep them poor"

"Keep them ignorant"

"Keep them busy"

I wonder how many of the young men who are recruited by terrorist groups would rather go to school and get an education.

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I have given financial help to a nephew and two nieces in the past couple of days. The eldest niece, 16, is going into senior high so needs a complete new uniform as well as books etc. The nephew is going into grade 5 and needs clothing, books etc. The youngest is going into K2 which needs first uniform, books, wooden blocks, modelling clay and her own chair, which has to be rattan! Having to provide personal furniture is something I was really surprised by. Without my help these children would have gone without and whatever outcome would come from that. The parents, both single mothers, work on contract for the NSO. They have just worked for weeks but their salaries have been held up yet again, it usually takes months for their money to be released to them. The 16 year old niece worked in the accounts dept at City Hall during her school break. She has to wait another two weeks for the first 60% of her earnings and then until August for the remaining 40%. Because these are good people and try their hardest to provide in difficult circumstances I feel it is my duty to help them. They always ask for it as a loan and they always pay me back, although I do write some off, I do accept repayment for the remainder.

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yes it definitely is not free, we have spent on average P1000 for each child we are helping.  Not sure exactly what was purchased how ever was frugal, sad to think so many will miss out.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, virginprune said:

I have given financial help to a nephew and two nieces in the past couple of days. The eldest niece, 16, is going into senior high so needs a complete new uniform as well as books etc. The nephew is going into grade 5 and needs clothing, books etc. The youngest is going into K2 which needs first uniform, books, wooden blocks, modelling clay and her own chair, which has to be rattan! Having to provide personal furniture is something I was really surprised by. Without my help these children would have gone without and whatever outcome would come from that. The parents, both single mothers, work on contract for the NSO. They have just worked for weeks but their salaries have been held up yet again, it usually takes months for their money to be released to them. The 16 year old niece worked in the accounts dept at City Hall during her school break. She has to wait another two weeks for the first 60% of her earnings and then until August for the remaining 40%. Because these are good people and try their hardest to provide in difficult circumstances I feel it is my duty to help them. They always ask for it as a loan and they always pay me back, although I do write some off, I do accept repayment for the remainder.

Yeah Virginprune, before it didn't really register with me how involved and expensive it can be can be. My husband remarked aloud in the store that as a child, the only requirements were a notebook pen, or pencil. Many Filipino parents and grandparents in line at the checkout nodded knowingly. That's thoughtful that you helped those students out. Help on any level seems the only mindful thing to do. IMHO

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Yeah Virginprune, before it didn't really register with me how involved and expensive it can be can be. My husband remarked aloud in the store that as a child, the only requirements were a notebook pen, or pencil. Many Filipino parents and grandparents in line at the checkout nodded knowingly. That's thoughtful that you helped those students out. Help on any level seems the only mindful thing to do. IMHO

My SO informs me that these "extras" we're not an issue during Marcos's time.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yes it definitely is not free, we have spent on average P1000 for each child we are helping.  Not sure exactly what was purchased how ever was frugal, sad to think so many will miss out.

Hey RBM--it's all good in my opinion, and that help will make a big difference.  I've heard many people say that helping on any level seems tough, with all the others that might be left behind. That's a common and true reaction. For myself-- I try to be more pragmatic, and do what I can do as best I can. One year I might do more and another less who knows, but it's all to the good and a positive.

16 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

her own chair, which has to be rattan!

I wonder what that rattan chair is all about? :89: Nice concept though.:smile: A plastic stool could be out of reach!

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

I help the wifes step sister who is 13, smart kid, studys hard and enjoys school and learning.  Without the help she would be packed of to relatives deeper in the province to school "cheaper"

Last time back we went to SM and got the supplys for upcoming start again, pens, pencils, note pads (lots!) and all the other listed items.............cost around the P4k mark and then a new pair of trainers/rubber shoes.

In addition I send P5k per month for the tricycle ride back n forth each day, snacks, school trips etc.

She is at a Science school so maybe costs are a little higher and they do work them hard but also lots of school field trips.

Makes me feel good to give back and she works damned hard.

Money well spent I'd say Steve!

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My friend told me a story about a school he was going to donate to.

He said he noticed that they did not have many chairs and most of the people visiting were having to stand.The school had a big PA system and he asked who`s it was they said the schools.He asked them why they did not buy chairs instead and was told oh no the PA is more important.He never donated to that school.Sometimes the priorities are wrong.

Over in Dalaguete a  group of expats donate money into a pot.This gets spent once a month on supplies and food for a chosen school in that area.They buy the supplies themselves and distribute them.

• Like 5