Public School in the Province is not free!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Let me ask this WHO sends their Kids to any school anywhere that it does NOT cost? Gone are those days of Government issue in Schools anywhere in the WORLD not just here in the PI. Yes we Donate, this year it was a Cooking Range for the canteen BUT I know, it will only go to the Staff room. It is what it is Members

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Money well spent I'd say Steve!

Agree. But I also see it as an investment. Not one for me personally, but rather for them and perhaps for their country. 

I've helped and fully sponsored a few students over the years. Right now am sponsoring my SO's 16 year old cousin so she can complete high school, her 6 year old niece and of course our own 7 year old daughter. 

The two younger ones go to school in province (Camotes). Although uniforms are required they are simple - white button down shirts and dark blue skirts (trousers for the boys of course). But they will allow kids to attend even if they don't wear the exact required uniform - white t shirts and dark pants / skirts are acceptable.  

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gator said:

Agree. But I also see it as an investment. Not one for me personally, but rather for them and perhaps for their country. 

I've helped and fully sponsored a few students over the years. Right now am sponsoring my SO's 16 year old cousin so she can complete high school, her 6 year old niece and of course our own 7 year old daughter. 

The two younger ones go to school in province (Camotes). Although uniforms are required they are simple - white button down shirts and dark blue skirts (trousers for the boys of course). But they will allow kids to attend even if they don't wear the exact required uniform - white t shirts and dark pants / skirts are acceptable.  

I like with your idea of helping a student as an investment, Gator.  Sometimes older students who continue to excel, might be able to help younger siblings over time too. That's good that a simpler uniform is accepted too.  

Also, helping a poor student in any form I think,  might say, "I care about you, and hope the best for you."  I'm hoping that will be a small encouragement for them to apply themselves when in school.:smile:

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree Jack, that school costs money anywhere in the world. It's just that often complicated and sometimes arbitrary requirements make it difficult here in the Philippines, where many can least afford them. I think that education here in the province is not as much as a priority to parents as it had been in times past, although without some sort of degree or training. it's difficult for a young person to get a decent/any job. Just the joy of attending school along with your peers should be a right for all in a perfect world.  Sometimes I read about different corporations donating school supplies and backpacks, Like SM Cares or Ayala, or you might see a corporate/local business signboard on a new gate at a public school. That's a creative way to get things donated.

Sadly, I'm not convinced that the government sees education for as many of the country's children as possible as a big priority either, but as with many things it's just what it is. 

A stove is a generous donation Jack, I know that in the central school here, a lot of the home economics cooking lessons are done over a wood fire.:smile: Any gifts donated will have no strings attached we all know.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Sadly, I'm not convinced that the government sees education for as many of the country's children as possible as a big priority either, but as with many things it's just what it is. 

Yes sad but the previous President made a Proclamation that all children deserve an Education and set up Part of the Sin tax to accommodate this but as with many things ...................:571c66d400c8c_1(103): On the other Hand Some provincial children are not going to school because their Friends with lesser funds cannot. It really is a vicious circle, one I feel that must be addressed by DepEd if no one else But then again, we have read many times that those that want to study will and turn out Good yet on the other hand Those that don't just hold back the others, there doesn't seem (To me) Any sort of Supervision on Elementary Schools ( Attendance) For me this is the Start. If these Kids can get to enjoy school then the next stage might just get better but if they don't go, they will never know EH? 

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2017 at 4:33 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Let me ask this WHO sends their Kids to any school anywhere that it does NOT cost? Gone are those days of Government issue in Schools anywhere in the WORLD not just here in the PI. Yes we Donate, this year it was a Cooking Range for the canteen BUT I know, it will only go to the Staff room. It is what it is Members

Agree! Even though I am an old fart I had two kids in the public school system in the US not that long ago. Each summer we were given a lengthy list from the school of supplies we were required to have for the kids; it was not a suggestion. I usually spent $100 for the 2 kids on basic required supplies.

When I was a kid every extra was free. Today, join a team there's a hefty fee, join the band - hefty fee (and you rent the instrument). The list goes on. And let's not forget the constant fund raisers to pay for nearly everything. 

My wife's family is flat out poor, yet they managed to put every kid (10) through school and every kid finished. But one thing that is interesting in the Philippines, at least in our family. The older kids (now adults) help pay for the 3 kids still left in school. 

Edited by davewe
  • Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davewe said:

Agree! Even though I am an old fart I had two kids in the public school system in the US not that long ago. Each summer we were given a lengthy list from the school of supplies we were required to have for the kids; it was not a suggestion. I usually spent $100 for the 2 kids on basic required supplies.

When I was a kid every extra was free. Today, join a team there's a hefty fee, join the band - hefty fee (and you rent the instrument). The list goes on. And let's not forget the constant fund raisers to pay for nearly everything. 

My wife's family is flat out poor, yet they managed to put every kid (10) through school and every kid finished. But one thing that is interesting in the Philippines, at least in our family. The older kids (now adults) help pay for the 3 kids still left in school. 

I just spent $160 for 2 here in the US. The school sets up a required list for the new year, so I put my order in on Friday. The price keeps going up. Summer care is $250 for 2 per week this year (this is their first week of summer break), and that doesn't include lunch or a snack. I think the kids will be spending the rest of the summer home this year. It's just too much. My mother would put me in summer school or I'd just stay home.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

With teachers in my wifes family, we are very much aware of the situation  in the provinces and try help out were we can.

Our sister  in law  tell us some pupils have  a two mile walk to get school and some have no lunch, she has put her hand in her pocket

many times, if only for portion of rice,  quite often still waiting on her salary and children of her own to care for.

We also have been putting our niece in SIguior through schooling while helping her parents out and I know many familes or siblings here in UK sending money home for education and family needs.

By educating the family young, the hope is that they will go on to university  and achieve good jobs this will give them the means to help financially with family elders too.

The desperate  ones are the street children whose parents have little or nothing, education doesn't reach them.

Every child should have the right to be educated free, if only the basic's, if they can do that in Africa why not Philippines.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My stepson here in Davao will be starting his 10th grade this year. Yesterday, he went to orientation. I asked him how did it go?

He answered that now they have A/C in the library. tighter restrictions on haircut for boys. If not cut 2x3 and kept short that a barber will be on campus once a month and those that do not comply will be cut at parents expense of 100 Pesos. If late for school 3 times in a grading period, one day suspension. That is all that is new. 

It's a Catholic school and very strict, He is doing well. His grades have improved. He has no complaints. However, the school starts preparing the students for Tourism and Culinary. So, if a student has other college plans, he/she will probably change schools starting 11th grade. We chose this school because it is close to home and reasonably priced. Just a tricycle ride and short jeepney to and from school. Less than half hour to and from school. His future depends a lot on our situation here next year. We may be in California then.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

I think the kids will be spending the rest of the summer home this year. It's just too much. My mother would put me in summer school or I'd just stay home.

Myself and my siblings all got summer jobs on farms or tourist resorts so that we could pay for our school needs. I learned from an early age that apples grow on trees, not money.

• Like 3