Public School in the Province is not free!

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Myself and my siblings all got summer jobs on farms or tourist resorts so that we could pay for our school needs. I learned from an early age that apples grow on trees, not money.

We also worked during school vacation So did my sons. It's more fun if one has spending money during vacation.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

It's more fun if one has spending money during vacation.

Agree.png 100%. it also teaches (Taught us EH?)  Kids about Discipline, Tidiness in the workplace, Timekeeping & Respect ( all sadly lacking here in a lot of Cases) and of course it teaches the Young that if you want to stay in bed because you were up late last night it is going to cost you.:whistling:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Somehow jobs got added to the subject so... I got my 1st 'real job' (defined as paying into Social Security) when I was 12 (1976 for those that like doing math lol). Used it pay for my own school supplies to start with (private school so had gym uniform, football and track/field uniforms and shoes, drafting supplies...). Later I was supplying paper, pencils, crayons, markers, paper, and even kleenex for my kids. No I have even longer lists of supplies, yet at a lower cost, for my (wife's) brothers and sisters. An expense I am happy to absorb.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Somehow jobs got added to the subject so

Yes, mine also was a morning paper route. I used the money to buy my own school clothes. I wanted Levis and shirts that I picked myself. During early high school years I worked at a small airport cleaning the swimming pool and the pool area and polishing airplanes. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2017 at 7:56 AM, Queenie O. said:

I like with your idea of helping a student as an investment, Gator.  Sometimes older students who continue to excel, might be able to help younger siblings over time too.

I agree that siblings help others. I have a Filipina friend who works in a call center. She sent home 5000 peso for 3 nieces school supplies as her sister has no job. So she is making sure they get an education. 

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Times have changed. I used to go mow lawns and wash cars. Send the kids out these days, you might get them taken away. At the very least, the neighbors will look at you like you have 3 eyes.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Reboot said:

Times have changed. I used to go mow lawns and wash cars. Send the kids out these days, you might get them taken away. At the very least, the neighbors will look at you like you have 3 eyes.

This reminds me and makes me laugh because once when I was a teen I was mowing our front lawn with an old push mower.  Our next door neighbour saw me and offered to pay me ( I forget how much) to mow his law. So, I did. The next time I mowed our front lawn I went ahead and mowed his too, thinking he would pay me again. He just came out and said "ambitious, aren't you" and went back inside. No pay and so I never mowed his lawn again . I was pissed but learned a lesson.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Reboot said:

We were not permitted to seek part time employment. The reason given is we would be depriving someone who needed the work.

When McDonalds opened their Greenhills outlet, the Americans sent over to help insisted hiring neighborhood kids on a part time basis. It was considered prestigious to work for a famous American franchise. Many high school students from wealthy families applied. The problem was their numerous Mercedes Benz cars were clogging the parking lot. Policy changed and most hires are full timers.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

We were not permitted to seek part time employment. The reason given is we would be depriving someone who needed the work.

When McDonalds opened their Greenhills outlet, the Americans sent over to help insisted hiring neighborhood kids on a part time basis. It was considered prestigious to work for a famous American franchise. Many high school students from wealthy families applied. The problem was their numerous Mercedes Benz cars were clogging the parking lot. Policy changed and most hires are full timers.

That's a funny story JJ.:smile:  Nowadays here, just to work in any service related job like Jollibee, McDonalds or in one of the department stores requires a college degree and a decent working knowledge of English. 

As far as summer jobs here, young high schoolers would be passed over for any jobs that they don't qualify for. No paper routes lawns or cars to wash either.:smile:

Our niece, now in fifth grade, attended a little neighborhood summer  day camp for singing and some public speaking skills, that she really enjoyed. It's too bad that more of these don't exist for kids here. She got a reduced rate because my sister-in -law ran it who is a principal in one of the local barangay schools, but it wasn't too expensive anyway. Still, out of reach for a majority of children.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Nowadays here, just to work in any service related job like Jollibee, McDonalds or in one of the department stores requires a college degree

In the states kids in high school can work at McDonalds. Knowledge of English was not required. Many were Mexican immigrants and would get orders mixed up. 

Speaking from experience and orders that were incorrect. Mostly in Drive Thru windows.

• Like 2