Legal Firearms for Residents (not Tourists)

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Being the the US where the 2nd amendment has never been an issue.  I'm curious as to firearm for 13A residents here in Philippines with recent terror attacks.  while I live neear Ft. Magsaysya, I doubt the Sgt. At Arms would assign me a wepon depiste my training.

With the recent terror attacks, I've bee pondering obtaining a high capacity M-4 carbine and Desert Eagle .45 caliber home defense weapons.  The bolo or combat knives won't cut it for distance plus high capicity round.

Can my Filipino family or myself obtain such firearms after approriate courses and licensing requirements?

J

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ITGeek said:

Being the the US where the 2nd amendment has never been an issue.  I'm curious as to firearm for 13A residents here in Philippines with recent terror attacks.  while I live neear Ft. Magsaysya, I doubt the Sgt. At Arms would assign me a wepon depiste my training.

With the recent terror attacks, I've bee pondering obtaining a high capacity M-4 carbine and Desert Eagle .45 caliber home defense weapons.  The bolo or combat knives won't cut it for distance plus high capicity round.

Can my Filipino family or myself obtain such firearms after approriate courses and licensing requirements?

J

It's been hashed out elsewhere. CITIZENS may possess firearms legally. Residents, not. 

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

That about sums it up. Best thing, I guess, is to have a dual use object. But not an obvious one.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Not only would you need to be a citizen- you need to have filed a Philippines tax return recently.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

An American friend of mine has a compound bow. This is a gray area because it is technically not a weapon, but something meant for hunting or sports. If he uses it in self-defense at home, a good lawyer will probably be successful in pleading his case.

Edited by JJReyes

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am thinking that they may have a lot more intolerance to firearm ownership in Philippines than they do in the US - thankfully. (Not that it stops there being an abundance of weapons).  But more guns do not solve the problem - ask all the students in US schools and shopping centres that have been shot over the years!

I do not understand the US obsession with guns.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I am thinking that they may have a lot more intolerance to firearm ownership in Philippines than they do in the US - thankfully. (Not that it stops there being an abundance of weapons).  But more guns do not solve the problem - ask all the students in US schools and shopping centres that have been shot over the years!

Law abiding people with firearms do not add to the problem. The problem is criminals with guns (which laws have no affect on because - they are criminals and do not care about the law, and the reason for the "abundance of weapons" you mentioned). What is so horrible with wanting the ability to want to protect yourself and your family with the same amount of force a criminal brings? 

NOT allowing guns is the precise reason schools and shopping centers are where those incidents happen. If guns were the problem then there would be mass killings weekly at gun shows across the country. However, the mass shootings at gun shows is a whopping ZERO. Why? The criminals know everyone has a gun. They want to take advantage of the weak, not get shot by 50 people.

Kinda like owning a home, your spouse owns the gun(s) and best if they are holding it when the PNP show up. BTW, something more along the lines of a shotgun is better for home defense so a round doesn't go through the wall and hit a neighbor.

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Once more Americans don't have an obsession with guns.   As I don't hunt any longer I don't have my double barrel 12 gauge was great for grouse (bob white) rabbits and in Ohio deer.  I gave it and my .22 single shot carbine bolt action, my fathers first weapon to the scouts.  Dad taught me to shot with that gun.  I hunted rabbit shot starlings by the 100s hunted squirrels and practiced by biting tomato stakes at 50 yards in one inch increments. Dad gave me the .22 before I got a bb gun. I have owned only one pistol a small .380 four shot to carry to the bank with the deposits from the restaurants.  The pistol was registered and I was permitted by the fact we had liquor licenses, some arcane law.

As being ex military I may get a concealed carry permit by just paying the fee.  Florida is very loose with the permitting of guns as many 80 year old women carry. Must be why everyone seems so polite here.

In the schools the teachers may not have weapons, in bars you may not carry that maybe why people got shot there.  There were no weapons in Colorado at the movies.  Most of the gun crimes are committed in areas and cities that ban guns...for the citizens safety.  Places like DC Detroit Chicago and other large cities.     

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Most of the gun crimes are committed in areas and cities that ban guns...for the citizens safety.  Places like DC Detroit Chicago and other large cities.     

and most of those crimes, especially those where a gun is actually fired, is committed against other criminals in specific neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Lets stick to the question of can a foreigner own a gun in the Philippines. If the subject changes I will lock the topic as its one of those subjects that just causes arguments. :thumbsup:

• Like 3