Learning Tagalog

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I've been living in the Philippines for two years and I'm finally starting to speak Tagalog in sentences (instead of simple words such as 'O po' and 'Salamat po.'  However, I'm still a long way from understanding all of the questions that I get from Tagalog speakers, which makes the language being used switch back to English in most cases .

Unlike many other ex-pats (with a majority living in Metro Manila), I live in Batangas.  Many of the local people are very shy about speaking in English to me. Occasionally, I do encounter some very well educated people who are very fluent in English and they are more than happy to speak in English to me (but they are few and far between).

So now, I am curious if anyone over here has ever become completely fluent in Tagalog... and if you have, how did you do it? (e.g., take a course, learn on your own, etc.) and how long did it take you?  Plus, do you have any suggestions for me?

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

So now, I am curious if anyone over here has ever become completely fluent in Tagalog..

Welcome.jpg to the gang mark, many of us have tried and failed in many cases, problem with Learning 1 language is it is pretty useless if you want to Travel It is mainly spoken on Luzon and many of the older generation may use it but Most of the Islands have their own Little Language that is sometimes not Understood in the Barangay next Door, My 18 year old Daughter does not speak it and given up on the new (Now mainly discontinued "Filipino". Cebuano is probably easier to Learn But again no good if you go to Negros Occidental as they speak Ilonggo and will not speak Bisaya which again has so many dialects in it. Most of us have stayed with English, You may see what I am saying if you Follow the Topic  "Why the Philippines" anyway, Enjoy the Forum and now you are here, Don't be a Stranger :thumbsup:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I believe you can get a translator program for a smart phone. You speak the phrase into the phone in English and the phone says it back in Tagalog. Might work if you find yourself in a pinch or possibly a learning aid.:89:

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

You guys are already confirming what I was already telling my Filipina wife--i.e., it's completely hopeless for me to ever become fluent in Tagalog.

To further explain my problem, I live with my wife's family (or should I say that they actually live with me?) and they are all from different provinces (a very long story)... I get to hear Tagalog, Kampangan and a Bicol dialect on a daily basis :89:

I guess that I'll stick to just learning whatever that I can, since it does help to say a few things such as ‘Ito ay mas mainit na ditto’ (in a store without aircon), since it usually brings a smile to the faces of the pretty girls at the checkout... and it makes me feel less like a foreigner. :whistling:

• Like 5

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Mark I taught myself with books and CD's in my car. CD's more effective especially with pronunciation. Also I watch Philippine news programs and have picked up bits. I would say I am 60% in understanding, 50% in speaking and 80% in reading. I am still in UAE so 2 more years before retirement and hopefully will bridge the gaps.

I actually enjoy speaking and understanding the language, especially the shocked expressions when I do.

Paul

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Mark I taught myself with books and CD's in my car. CD's more effective especially with pronunciation. Also I watch Philippine news programs and have picked up bits. I would say I am 60% in understanding, 50% in speaking and 80% in reading. I am still in UAE so 2 more years before retirement and hopefully will bridge the gaps.

I actually enjoy speaking and understanding the language, especially the shocked expressions when I do.

Paul

Paul, I also enjoy seeing the shocked expressions on people's faces whenever I speak Tagalog (although I am nowhere near your proficiency in the language).

I also watch the news in Tagalog (and watch Filipino films on cable). Plus, I use online translator tools... but the CD's that you use seem to be a very good option since that gives the precise pronunciation.

Thanks for your input! .

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Clermont
Posted
Posted

I have had a conversation with a Chinese professor using one of the translators, bloody good, although you have to read between the lines a little when it translates. I didn't know they had a translation in Tagalog, might have to get one, might also be interesting to know what some of the women are saying, ha ha, especially if you talk into it and it translates your English it Tagalog.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I didn't know they had a translation in Tagalog, might have to get one, might also be interesting to know what some of the women are saying, ha ha, especially if you talk into it and it translates your English it Tagalog.

:hystery:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Clermont said:

might also be interesting to know what some of the women are saying, ha ha,

:89: Hmmmmmmm are you really sure about that?

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Could be interesting, they mightn't be talking about my good looks, the mind ponders on that thought