Learning Tagalog

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Could be interesting, they mightn't be talking about my good looks,

And they talk in riddles, for example when they talk about looking for M&Ms I figure they should be looking in the grocery store or the candy store, not looking for old, rich, marriageable guys on their deathbeds.

(Matandang mayaman na madaling mamatay.)

• Like 5

Clermont
Posted
Posted

My wife translated for me, ha ha, my remark was, only Captain Kid took his money with him, no kisses tonight, ha ha?

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2017 at 0:28 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

And they talk in riddles, for example when they talk about looking for M&Ms I figure they should be looking in the grocery store or the candy store, not looking for old, rich, marriageable guys on their deathbeds.

(Matandang mayaman na madaling mamatay.)

Here is another one: PPP

pagbibigayan pagmamahal pagtitiyaga 

Forgiveness, love, and patience

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

No sense of humor my wife, Apps for Tagalog on the PH sounds better every minute, ha ha.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Clermont said:

No sense of humor my wife, Apps for Tagalog on the PH sounds better every minute, ha ha.

Don't feel too bad since my Filipina wife doesn't always have a sense a humor either... she tells me that it's because of her onion skin and that she has to be in the right mood for a joke. :mellow:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

she tells me that it's because of her onion skin and that she has to be in the right mood for a joke. :mellow:

No early night for you then EH Mark? :hystery:

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

No early night for you then EH Mark? :hystery:

No more early nights for me Jack, since I’ve already learned my lesson very well about how to mind my tongue. :smile:

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

An interesting topic, While I always assumed I was learned, being a big headed westerner (though now humble) with a petty good understanding in english and a handle on French my better half speaks Tagalog, Ilocano, Bicol, Spanish and very good English as well as grasps/communicates in other dialects, learning french from me now and researches/learns online and is now out doing me. I must be slack but very lucky that most Filipinos are able to communicate 100 times better in a foreign language than me, possibly others. Lazy yes, the English wheels were set in motion a long time ago and I presume that's why many of us choose to move/retire to a wonderful country that we can/will understand each other. My time is coming and I have to get off my derrière and focus, Ilocano and Bicol first, similar and if I get excited Tagalog also, Taglish seems easy, the mind boggles. In the slow/slack interim I will consult my interpreter post haste and slap me he will/does for my laziness.

Enjoy and go with the flow, respect is appreciated with only a few words or sentences and with time, grows, I can say the words but my accent is up the Sh1t even given I can say the vowels exactly is a laugh over a few beers, Don't worry I give it back with English comprehension/accent. At the end of the day I fell into a country with work/employment twice now, fell in love with the people and my better half, language has rarely been a problem. We all understand f++k off or how much (the universal language). As said a great post that affects us all to greater or less degrees.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

No more early nights for me Jack, since I’ve already learned my lesson very well about how to mind my tongue. :smile:

Late nights work too mark depends on how smooth your tongue is.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

heck tagalog can't be that hard..............lots of 2 year olds speak it.:ok: 

• Like 4