Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I think my original comment about geography degree was imprecise because the small university I attended only offered a BA program in geography. It is so long ago, but the definition of geography that I remember (and it might be wrong after all these years) was something about being the relation of humans to the earth - in simplest terms...

Well Tom, whatever you studied you seem to have it  in context here;

What is geography in simple words?

Geography is the study of lands, features, inhabitants, and phenomena. Usually this means of the Earth and its natural processes, natural events and people. ... It means "to write and draw about the Earth". The first person to use the word γεωγραφία was Eratosthenes (276–194 BC).*****

Quote taken from Wiki. :smile:

Many/most of us will try and gain the information we don't quite understand There maybe lies the problem of Geography in Schools and Such here:wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that, Jack. Like I said...it's been a long time since my first intro class in geography. I may have learned that then...hehehe. We really did learn an exact definition but it was overshadowed by more learning and then the application of that knowledge to reality. I also will make the excuse that - other than sailing - I have not applied any of that knowledge for many years and never made it my long-term career.

I think I have forgotten a lot of what I learned back then and maybe replaced it with what I have learned more recently? But I certainly enjoy this planet and have enjoyed exploring some parts of it that I was lucky enough to visit. And it's interesting to see how Filipinos and other islanders adapted to their environment - with fishing, growing  and harvesting their food. The almost perpetual heat in the tropics definitely slows everything down - except for the kids on motorcycles!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

slows everything down - except for the kids on motorcycles!

Laugh icon.jpg For Sure

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Anyway... I will revert to my main thoughts in this topic, I think.

Yeah, I believe ex-pats should teach geography to Filipinos. Even those of us with less than perfect knowledge can impart at least some of that here to those with interest. Like I said before, my partner loves to hear about geography, history and the very limited knowledge I have of science and space. She asks intelligent questions often so I try to teach the best I can. We can maybe explain that England is not an American state? That, maybe you could drive from - where was it, Russia to the U.S? - it might just take a while and require some naval assistance and a lot of gas, tires, etc...? I will make an extra effort to show my SO her world globe again and keep explaining compass directions. Hmmm... but with taxi drivers? It will be the same - turn right here, (no, the OTHER right),  now go straight - see the 7-11 up ahead? - turn left there, then right after just the broken down red VW... or simply right, now straight, left here, straight again until you see yellow house on the corner.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

We can maybe explain that England is not an American state?

At least, not yet :mocking: