Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

robert k
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Is that a Tagalog, Ilonggo, Bisaya, Scientific word or did you make it up:89:

Just Teasing mate:thumbsup:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/OblateSpheroid.html

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, robert k said:

:89:Too deep for me on a Saturday  I will stay with the Geography easy lessons:smile:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As someone that lived in America for a little bit in Washington state I'm sitting here smiling to myself. I had the pleasure of dealing with locals there that had never been to the Ocean even though we were about 50 miles from it. They thought Scotland was part of England and weren't sure about Wales. One even commented on my Scottish accent saying "it was cool" and then he totally blew it by asking if I'd ever been to Scotland? :bonk:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm sitting here smiling to myself.

I know, I know.  I said I would bow out of this topic but you make such a good point:

I have made similar faux pas in Canada.  I asked one fellow if he was from Philippines and he got mad and said:  "No, I'm from Mexico, what is it with all you white guys that you think all us brown skinned people are alike."  Another time I asked a fellow if he was from Czechoslovakia and he replied:  "No, I'm from the Czech republic. There has been no Czechoslovakia in many years, don't they teach you Canadians, in school,  about world geography?

And then there are Brits who did not know Wales is a country in its own right. .  :whistling: but we won't mention any names except to say:  And "we" are all qualified to teach geography?  Reminds me of the difference between teachers and truck drivers.  Truck drivers know they cannot teach but teachers think they know everything.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

But given the world's Circumference JP, 13 miles is chicken feed surely, not enough to totally support the World is not Round, Is it?

Yes, I was just showing the irrelevance of Dave's point.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Yes, I was just showing the irrelevance of Dave's point.

It is good that you explained that, as it may have looked like you were attempting to denigrate another member's opinion to look not as valid as your own.

The fellow who suggested using Google maps actually did illustrate the redundancy of flat maps.  Its pretty hard to refute actual physical data, but still using a globe?  What century are we in?

(See what I mean?  That is what it looks like when trying to denigrate another member's post.  There was no call for me to add that part about the globe except to show the irrelevance of your post.) Perhaps we should all think twice and post once.

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

And Wales is not a country it's a principality.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Apparently no so according to a learned member not too long ago, Wales was given Country Status upon getting the Welsh Assembly.

Oh I hate to even say things against a Fellow national But if I don't say it, I surely know he will  :smile:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gary D said:

22 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

ales was given Country Status upon getting the Welsh Assembly.

I think Gary is having us on.  He surely read the link or researched it properly before giving me a poke :bash:  Or he could be a retired Geography teacher who hasn't kept up.  :hystery:

But it sure proves my point that people who do not know as much Geography as they think they do should not be teaching others.  It propagates the fallacies.  Like my signature says, what people believe prevails over the truth.  And many Brits still believe Wales is a principality and could not be bothered to research it to find out things have changed since they were in 2nd Form.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think Gary is having us on.  He surely read the link or researched it properly before giving me a poke :bash:  Or he could be a retired Geography teacher who hasn't kept up.  :hystery:

You guys got it all wrong, here is the Whales :SugarwareZ-004::SugarwareZ-005: