Tower fire- Passing the buck UK style

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Can you image if the terrorists have figured out that all they have to do is rent a flat on the second floor of a high rise, fill it with incendiary devices, set them to go off at 2 am,

Terrorist have already done this in North London some years ago Fortunately there was a premature explosion of the Detonators before the Actual thing  was assembled. I take your Point very seriously and Hope it was  Fete of Nature in the instance of the Block in Question.

After the "RONAN" Point  Disaster (Again West London I believe) that was a Major Gas leak, Many Councils in the UK demolished all High rise  Blocks and put a height Restriction on new builds BUT what can they Do in London or any confined major City but to build UP :89:

RONAN POINT.jpg  Ronan poin 2.jpg  RONAN POINT 3.jpg

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Many Councils in the UK demolished all High rise  Blocks and put a height Restriction on new builds

Interesting.  It seems there should be a limit, based on the ability to evacuate all souls safely and quickly and also based on the ability of firefighting equipment in the area to reach, react to, and extinguish the blaze in a reasonable time.  Other than that they are building ground based Titanics.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

THAT is terrorism and it could be done anywhere and any number of times.  How do you combat it?

Even if this "towering inferno" turns out to have natural causes it must surely put the thought in the minds of future terrorists.

I think I shall not be living in a condo any time soon.

Terrorism is exactly what the word implies, "terror". Anywhere a lot of people are gathered is a likely target. It could happen just about any time at any place. 

My wife and stepson went to church Sunday and on their way, there was a checkpoint. Good thing my wife carries stepson's photo ID. So, the checkpoints are providing a little bit of security checks. 

I'm careful not to go anywhere there is a crowd. At the local malls, I am careful not to be there when the mall opens. All the entrances are crowded at this time waiting anxiously for doors to open.

We should not have  to live in fear but we can be cautious. 

Edited by Gratefuled
spell check
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The fire was fanned on by the wind and the cladding on the outside was burning very quickly.I did hear a story(how true I don`t know) that it was a refrigerator which caught alight. I have heard 50 in hospital and some fatalities.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Looks to me like no Sprinkler system working what so ever, no fire stopping what so ever either.

Exactly. No "smoke alarms" or working "sprinkler system" and probably no fire extinguishers available.

It must be a very old building. Buildings like these with occupants should be examined periodically for potential fire hazards. 

Whoever owns the building should be held responsible. I wonder how insurance companies will handle this incident.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Whoever owns the building

I believe it is a Government Block :89:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I believe it is a Government Block :89:

From what I have read and seen on TV that is the impression I get.A man on the news said that the occupants have been complaining for 4 years over safety issues.There will be some kind of paperwork on this so whoever owns it will be in deep do do.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic