Tower fire- Passing the buck UK style

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In some states, buildings maybe grandfathered, meaning they do not have to conform to new and higher standards. Other places require expensive renovations of old buildings irregardless of the cost.

The problem is sometimes this involves years of negotiations. Our former condo building in Honolulu was constructed using steel and concrete, but no sprinkler system. It took years for the condo association to successfully argue that installing sprinklers would not be practical. The ceiling height would drop below the standard level and the drop ceiling housing the sprinklers would be impractical. One compromise was two mandatory fire drills per year wherein all residents were required to vacate the building. To make the drills look realistic, they had smoke pots to stimulate what happens in the event of a fire. Fire marshals were present at these events.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I recall a fire in the US recently at a warehouse that was converted [illegally] to habitation, it was a fully preventable tragedy and I blame the landlord and I believe the inspectors must have been paid off.

I was in construction from the late 90's to 2008 and I was impressed with the materials we had to use. Dampers in the air ducts and so forth. Fire caulk around holes where pipes penetrate walls. They did start a practice that I wasn't too sure about and that was PVC piping for fire sprinklers and it was a dry system, never tested and would only ever have water in it if there was a fire assuming the pump worked. :89:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Since a new and similar topic has been started in the NEWS section, let's avoid duplication and post future comments in that thread, located here:

I shall lock this thread until JGF decides whether this thread should continue.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It just seems that insurance companies would make sure the structure is safe to live in. Safe from fires at least or some kind of fire prevention system before issuing fire insurance. But, what do I know.

I'll answer that. "not much"

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

What lessons can be learnt from this and how do our USA forum members recall any similar situations in the high rise blocks of American cities.

Probably a lot to do with luck that it doesn't happen more often, especially in older buildings. Fire safety particularly has been focused on for 100 years because of 1871 Chicago and 1906 San Francisco

Edited by AlwaysRt
  • Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I merged the two topics together. Terrorism new level and passing the buck. 

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2017 at 1:21 AM, Steve GCC said:

I work in Facilities Management (maintenance) and have done my entire career, last 10 years in the middle east...................... I live in a low rise building, not high rise.  Does that tell you something???......................

You don't like the long wait for the only working elevator. 

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2017 at 0:40 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

systems are in place such as regular maintenance like smoke alarm checks which are done in my building, fire alarm checks etc

They are all great.................just as important is the pressurization fan that over pressures the emergency staircases and keeps the smoke out.............clearly failed on this one as residents didn't make it down the stair cases and died from smoke inhalation.

Similarly ensuring the ventilation turns off when fire alarm activates to ensure fuel is not fed to the fire.

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2017 at 3:58 AM, Gerald Glatt said:

You don't like the long wait for the only working elevator.

dont like the long walk down the stairs when the fire alarm goes off the elevators dont work............imagine in this case the poor soles who attempted it perhaps from the 23rd floor...........dies within a flight of stairs from the smoke i suspect.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Our prays for them

• Like 1