Overcharging in bars shops restaurants.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

As you know Kev, this is also very prevalent here in Pattaya.  Are you saying they are making 'errors' when adding up the bill or actually charging excessive prices for goods ordered?  The special here in Pattaya is in giving short change.  They assume all are tourists and don't know the currency.

'

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yea, I think "they" are required to overcharge Dave. In fact I'm sure it happened when we were out last time. :7500::hystery:

Seriously it gets old always having to watch out all the time and being taken advantage of. I would guess more so because you guys are rich Kanos. I wonder if the average local Filipino has as much trouble?:89:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

First, let me say the overcharging is usually a small amount but its in a ridiculously obvious way such that only the most stupid of waitress can attempt to say "its just a mistake" or "you must have miscounted your beers".

Here are the two examples sonjack mentioned in his opening post.

Yesterday:  I got my bill and was surprised to be charged for 2 more than I drank.  The waitress said she had "carried over" the tab from the previous girl who had gone off shift (so could not be reached for comment).   The waitress said I must have bought some beers for friends and forgotten about it.  I asked her to take a close look at the bill and notice that one of the beers I was charged for was a San Miguel Light.  Now take a good look at all the people sitting with me and show me one person who had one San Miguel Light at any point in the day (we were all drinking Pilsen or Coke) and if there was one then I would pay for it.  She got flustered and the total for the 2 extra beer was just under 100 pesos so I paid the bill (as she would get in trouble with the boss if she did not collect) and asked her to discuss the matter with the "other waitress" and correct it next time she saw me.

On the previous occasion:  I thought the overcharging issue was well and truly taken care of as I had a punch card.  Every time I ordered a beer, for myself or anyone else, each beer got one punch or stamp on the card.  So at the end of the day I simply add up how many stamps on the card and that's how many I pay for.  Easy?  Nope, the waitress brought the bill and they had added an extra one.  So I showed the card and explained.  THEN, she took the card and scribbled "1 SM" on the card so the number on the card matched what she wanted me to pay.  I said "You can't do that.  This is the record of what I have to pay for, not the other way around."  But she stood there until I paid and insisted I had to pay what she billed me for instead of what the punch card clearly showed I had ordered and she had delivered.

In some places in Cebu they put a glass with a piece of paper in front of you.  Every time you order a drink you must sign for it.  I always assumed that worked but after the punch card incident I imagine they could "fix" that bill just as easy. 

So, as I said, the overcharging is usually a small amount.  It just ruins a pleasant day when you get the bill and they see you as a "Mark" instead of a "Joe". 

Mark.jpg

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

First, let me say the overcharging is usually a small amount but its in a ridiculously obvious way such that only the most stupid of waitress can attempt to say "its just a mistake" or "you must have miscounted your beers".

Here are the two examples sonjack mentioned in his opening post.

Yesterday:  I got my bill and was surprised to be charged for 2 more than I drank.  The waitress said she had "carried over" the tab from the previous girl who had gone off shift (so could not be reached for comment).   The waitress said I must have bought some beers for friends and forgotten about it.  I asked her to take a close look at the bill and notice that one of the beers I was charged for was a San Miguel Light.  Now take a good look at all the people sitting with me and show me one person who had one San Miguel Light at any point in the day (we were all drinking Pilsen or Coke) and if there was one then I would pay for it.  She got flustered and the total for the 2 extra beer was just under 100 pesos so I paid the bill (as she would get in trouble with the boss if she did not collect) and asked her to discuss the matter with the "other waitress" and correct it next time she saw me.

On the previous occasion:  I thought the overcharging issue was well and truly taken care of as I had a punch card.  Every time I ordered a beer, for myself or anyone else, each beer got one punch or stamp on the card.  So at the end of the day I simply add up how many stamps on the card and that's how many I pay for.  Easy?  Nope, the waitress brought the bill and they had added an extra one.  So I showed the card and explained.  THEN, she took the card and scribbled "1 SM" on the card so the number on the card matched what she wanted me to pay.  I said "You can't do that.  This is the record of what I have to pay for, not the other way around."  But she stood there until I paid and insisted I had to pay what she billed me for instead of what the punch card clearly showed I had ordered and she had delivered.

In some places in Cebu they put a glass with a piece of paper in front of you.  Every time you order a drink you must sign for it.  I always assumed that worked but after the punch card incident I imagine they could "fix" that bill just as easy. 

So, as I said, the overcharging is usually a small amount.  It just ruins a pleasant day when you get the bill and they see you as a "Mark" instead of a "Joe". 

Mark.jpg

I don't drink out in bars but wouldn't it just be better to just pay as you order/drink?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I don't drink out in bars but wouldn't it just be better to just pay as you order/drink?

In the UK that would be the order of the Day but here, like so many other countries this drink Now pay later seems their order of the day. I gave up with paying drink by drink as they never have change, and pouted because they had to walk all the way back to the Bar to get the O/R:89: Hmmmmmmmmmm all of 15 meters (If that) depending on where you are seated But..............:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

As you know Kev, this is also very prevalent here in Pattaya.  Are you saying they are making 'errors' when adding up the bill or actually charging excessive prices for goods ordered?  The special here in Pattaya is in giving short change.  They assume all are tourists and don't know the currency.

'

Yes it happens in a lot of places Ron,but in  the foreigner run bars you expect it less but it seems that it is just prevalent. As dave says it can ruin an otherwise nice day out.

• Like 4