Overcharging in bars shops restaurants.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many places put the beer on "Happy Hour" special which can last for an hour or for 9 am to 5 pm.  I think the reason we go in the afternoons is the beer is half price so don't be surprised if you go to the same place for supper and get charged double for your beer.

Noted, happy hour is 1/2 price beer and 6x price coke LOL

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many places put the beer on "Happy Hour" special which can last for an hour or for 9 am to 5 pm.  I think the reason we go in the afternoons is the beer is half price so don't be surprised if you go to the same place for supper and get charged double for your beer.

:hystery: "Can't please all the people" comes to mind My Friend :whistling:

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1: ( Apparently We are going to the Wet market unless i can find an excuse)

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

You should meet at Connies, the 1L bottled coke is a lot cheaper. But it isn't the boulevard.:smile:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Whilst this is not overcharging, worth sharing.

Have a friend over from Oz who wanted to see the infamous Soi 6 Pattaya last night.

First stop least noisy bar, ordered drinks later then bill. Removed 1000bht note handed to bar girl. Change came and as i was started to place in wallet 500 short, over to cashier, total denial, said paid 500 note but did not have one in my wallet. Enter Manager.

A decent bloke, we checked cctv showed nothing. Eventually recouped 500 bht. This is getting very common here.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Have a friend over from Oz who wanted to see the infamous Soi 6 Pattaya last night.

First stop least noisy bar, ordered drinks later then bill. Removed 1000bht note handed to bar girl. Change came and as i was started to place in wallet 500 short, over to cashier, total denial, said paid 500 note but did not have one in my wallet. Enter Manager.

A decent bloke, we checked cctv showed nothing. Eventually recouped 500 bht. This is getting very common here.

I have been going there since 1996 and it seems to me nothing has changed

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Hence the custom in the Philippines of saying (eg) "I give you a thousand peso."

I first noticed this when being driven on a toll road out of Manila. My driver  would tell the cashier in the booth how much he was handing over and how much he received.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Eventually recouped 500 bht

How much is 500 bht?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, scott h said:

How much is 500 bht?

$20AU, 750 pesos.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have been going there since 1996 and it seems to me nothing has changed

Yes Kev, 8.5 years of being here and it is a common occurrence - but with western tourist numbers dropping off, it seems to be increasing.  Koreans/Chinese now the major targets it seems.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, mogo51 said:

$20AU, 750 pesos.

@ those prices $20 for a couple of drinks..Why try and rip you off?