For dual citizens, in case of war. What or Who?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Hypothetical question.

Who do you pledge allegiance to in case of war between both countries?

This could become a complicated legal problem.

Patriot or Traitor?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

THAT is an excellent question.  Fortunately, I am a dual of UK and Canada and could not picture the 2 going to war.  But what if?

That question came up with Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor.  Seems to me (if I remember my history lessons) that some went to Europe to fight fascists and some went to internment camps.  Did they have a choice?  Could they have just moved to Brazil or some neutral country if they had chosen?

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That question came up with Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor.

Many Germans suffered the same fate with WWII :huh: For me, My Great Grandfather chose the UK after WWI ( may have a bit before this though as I suspect he saw it coming

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Hypothetical question.

Who do you pledge allegiance to in case of war between both countries?

This could become a complicated legal problem.

Patriot or Traitor?

My first thought was you meant between Philippines and US.  Then after reading Daves post I thought a little but my comments then will be off topic so I stick with Philippines vs US.  However, my reasoning would work with most any country.  Like many other things in this world,…Follow the money.  Where you you get your retirement from?  Whether investment or pension.  Again I would suppose most would pledge allegiance form where your majority and safest income originate.  Without that retirement income, as much as I like the Philippines, I don’t see how we could survive.  Even with a nice house paid for, without income to support everything including medical, most people wold be foolish to give up any income ever how small.  So again I suppose most will Follow the Money! Now, age could make a difference for some.  As in younger.  Just my two peso worth.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Could they have just moved to Brazil or some neutral country if they had chosen?

Many Japanese and German war criminals fled to Brazil to escape trials for war crimes they committed. 

I don't think that the Japanese-Americans had a choice or a chance to flee. 

Americans did what they had to do at the time considering the barbaric and cowardly attack on Pearl Harbor where thousands of innocent people were killed before there was even a declaration of war with Japan.

Edited by Gratefuled

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

The co worker is proud to tell this story and we were proud of him.

I think any one would but let me ask a Question ED, If the parents are still alive what would they do, stay in the US and suffer what happens or Return Home to who knows what?

Sorry for the Question if it is out of place but................:89: these things come to mind 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If the parents are still alive what would they do

Raises another good point.  Wars split families.  I remember a movie about a German-American family, living in the US before the entered WW2 and one son went to Germany to fight with the Axis while another son went to England to fight with the allies.  It was just a movie and I cannot remember the name of it but the point is valid.

Even waaaaaay back, the American civil war divided people who only had ONE citizenship.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I think I would have to be neutral.if the UK and the phills were at it.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Raises another good point.  Wars split families.  I remember a movie about a German-American family, living in the US before the entered WW2 and one son went to Germany to fight with the Axis while another son went to England to fight with the allies.  It was just a movie and I cannot remember the name of it but the point is valid.

Even waaaaaay back, the American civil war divided people who only had ONE citizenship.

I have read that Hitlers nephew fought for the USA.

• Like 2