Who are your friends?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, scott h said:

When asked by friends and family back home about this I tell them that an expat living in the Philippines must be comfortable in his own skin. Days or weeks might go by with out passing the time with a native English speaker. As other have said I get along with my in laws just fine, and seeing that my wife and I are the same age her friends and their husbands are my age also. But we just don't have all that in common. After the ritual, "How do you find it here in the Philippines" or "what do you think of Dueterte?" or things like that we run out of topics quickly. I see "white guys" in the Mall every so often but (by mutual consent it think) rarely more than a nod is exchanged. Unlike you guys who live closer together, even though I am in the big sity, most expats live up in Makati and such so no real get together.

Some of the best conversations I have had have been at the BI offices. Guess misery breeds conversation :hystery:

They do not know what they are missing Scott, tell them you can give them references from the Phils Forum! haha

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, intrepid said:

However, I still would like find someone local with common interests to hang out with a few times a month.

Do you mean a local Filipino or a local Kano? It seems that nobody has a local Filipino friend other than their wife. It is different cultures. I had a local Filipino "friend" for awhile but all he wanted to do was drink. He was the only one that spoke some English.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, scott h said:

rarely more than a nod is exchanged.

This could be a topic all it's own. So much information can pass with the nod.

• Like 3