Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

Reedster
Posted
Posted

What experience do people out in the provinces rate their Internet access?  Any suggestions for planning?  I am very computer dependent (probably a bad thing).  Do Roku streaming devices work?  How about Apple TV or Amazon Fire?   Can you stream live games (such as US NFL or MSL leagues)?   Just trying to get my head around what I am going to be in store for.

Last fall I was in Cebu City and had no trouble steaming in a Hotel, but then from a hotel out in Danao streaming was impossible.  It is hit and miss?  Are satellite Internet providers available?

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hit and miss is a very kind description in my opinion. There are coverage maps online for LTE and 3G broadband coverage which I consider a necessary backup to anything else you might use. There are coverage maps for broadband online but as anyone could have guessed the better speeds/connection follow main highway corridors and can be found in business/hospital districts. I hope to find someplace on the Highway corridor and broadband can be my only connection because in my opinion, broadband is the most reliable connection in the Philippines because the companies will fix a cell tower [because of zero revenue until they do] as soon as possible whereas cable might not be in such a rush [let's not be hasty here and consider all the ramifications and make a mature and "profitable" decision]:smile: for various reasons, they have you under contract, they are actually making more money every day service is out because they don't have to buy blocks of bandwidth for you to use and so forth.:89: Same goes if you need a router and it's sorry, no stock sir, but they can order it and have it in a mere 2-3 weeks.

There is no substitute for boots on the ground when it comes to cable. Find out what people have in the prospective area and don't automatically assume they will connect you too, as they might have been filled to capacity and turning away people for months rather than run another line. Once you have confirmed what everyone is using and find it works well enough, then I would go to the office to make sure they will connect you.

From what I understand, some condos were wired by a supplier and there is no choice of provider because a single company literally owns the wires. If they are the slowest, most expensive service in town...well, it is what it is.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Is satellite internet or TV viable in the province? 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Is satellite internet or TV viable in the province? 

Which province makes a difference to the answers. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Unlikely to find stream-able Internet outside the major urban centers but there are slim possibilities.  I would say good luck but Leonard Cohen says it best:

Ah I don't believe you'd like it,
You wouldn't like it here
There ain't no entertainment
And the judgments are severe
The Maestro says it's Mozart
But it sounds like bubble gum
When you're waiting
For the miracle, for the miracle to come

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

When in the Philippines, learn to expect less and be presently surprised when you get more.

Capture.JPG

For what it’s worth, this is my ‘high-speed’ connection out in the provinces.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

this is my ‘high-speed’ connection out in the provinces.

Thats good!  Not out in in any of the provincial areas I know.  You must be in a built up area to get that.  I'm thinking of islands like Camotes, or Biliran as "out in the province"  and all you get is data on a stick.

• Like 4

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thats good!  Not out in in any of the provincial areas I know.  You must be in a built up area to get that.  I'm thinking of islands like Camotes, or Biliran as "out in the province"  and all you get is data on a stick.

I guess that I’m in an area that’s more developed than some others, since I’m living on Luzon.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

When in the Philippines, learn to expect less and be presently surprised when you get more.

Capture.JPG

For what it’s worth, this is my ‘high-speed’ connection out in the provinces.

Batangas isn't really the province, it's a shipping hub. I expect you would get about the same in Puerto Galera or Calapan, both of which are also shipping hubs.

• Like 4