Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Ours is PLDT, 1700 per month, unlimited, not great but not bad as out in the Province................. can see the cctv live from Dubai which works for me.........for now.

image1.PNG

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

That ping looks good, I know people whose international ping is 4-5 times that? I presume that is a local ping.

I just glanced at it and think it was hitting Manila... It is 5:30pm and got 239ms, 7.23mb down, 1.25mb up to Los Angeles.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2017 at 11:35 PM, OnMyWay said:

Subic Bay Freeport Zone is a bit provincial but we are lucky in that we get a version of PLDT FIBR here.  Subictel is a subsidiary of PLDT and the plans are a bit different that the normal PLDT areas.

We pay p3500 for 50 mbps service + Cignal digital TV with around 100 channels, ~15 are HD.  +p200 rent for the settop box, total p3700 a month.  There are no limits.

We have had it over a year now and it has been outstanding.  When we went to the U.S. for a month I let them know in advance, and they did not bill us for that time.  I think I have called them twice because it was down or slow, and they fixed it really fast.

So they should for that amount of money Don, but at least it is very good speed.  I pay 650bht (710pesos) for 20mps, but I can kiss that good bye when we leave here.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2017 at 8:30 PM, earthdome said:

Thanks. In Baguio 3 years ago I had 1.5Mbs DSL for 1400 pesos/month. I could have paid more for faster service.

That was only slightly faster than sending smoke signals earthdome!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/29/2017 at 9:49 AM, jpbago said:

I get 3.17 mbps down and 73 up with PLDT DSL for 1299p in Negros Occ near to Bacolod. No trouble streaming, some buffering in the AM on some sites. At least once a year, we lose the signal due to bad wires but they fix it in 1 or 2 days.

Do they give you a jar of vaseline when you go in and buy this amazing 'gift'.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, mogo51 said:

So they should for that amount of money Don, but at least it is very good speed.  I pay 650bht (710pesos) for 20mps, but I can kiss that good bye when we leave here.

You can probably kiss that deal goodbye no matter where you are going.  I have never heard of such a good deal in the countries I have lived in.

In the U.S., most areas will have DSL starting at $40 and up per month.  I know a lot of people pay over $100 per month for combined cable tv  / internet service.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You can probably kiss that deal goodbye no matter where you are going.  I have never heard of such a good deal in the countries I have lived in.

In the U.S., most areas will have DSL starting at $40 and up per month.  I know a lot of people pay over $100 per month for combined cable tv  / internet service.

Yes it is quite cheap here, 50mps is 990bht.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

50mps is 990bht.

Just wondering, is it government subsidized? Or do they allow foreign business there compete?

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, scott h said:

Just wondering, is it government subsidized? Or do they allow foreign business there compete?

I doubt it is subsidised Scott, but there are 3 main providers and very competitive.  I saw yesterday that 50mps on optic fibre is available there, does anyone have it and if so, how does it work, does it buffer all the time?  

I use an apps streaming box and get a lot of buffering.  I am a bit 'stupid' in this area, but from what I can gather, the most important thing is the band width, this dictates the quality of signal???

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

50mps on optic fibre is available there, does anyone have it and if so, how does it work, does it buffer all the time?  

No buffering unless it is not working right, which has only happened a few times where I had to call.  Once in while it slows down but I just unplug the modem to reset everything, and it is full speed ahead.  Our Cignal digital TV and internet and phone come over the same PLDT FIBR line.  We watch Netflix a lot and I just started watching Amazon streaming too.

• Like 1