Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No buffering unless it is not working right, which has only happened a few times where I had to call.  Once in while it slows down but I just unplug the modem to reset everything, and it is full speed ahead.  Our Cignal digital TV and internet and phone come over the same PLDT FIBR line.  We watch Netflix a lot and I just started watching Amazon streaming too.

Thanks Don. I will probably be using landline where we are going to. Hopefully it is available there. ABOUT 1900P A month I think?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Thanks Don. I will probably be using landline where we are going to. Hopefully it is available there. ABOUT 1900P A month I think?

If you can get sky cable you should be fine. No problem here in Cebu with 8mb, no buffering at all. P1599 unlimited 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you can get sky cable you should be fine. No problem here in Cebu with 8mb, no buffering at all. P1599 unlimited 

ThanksvJGF

earthdome
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No buffering unless it is not working right, which has only happened a few times where I had to call.  Once in while it slows down but I just unplug the modem to reset everything, and it is full speed ahead.  Our Cignal digital TV and internet and phone come over the same PLDT FIBR line.  We watch Netflix a lot and I just started watching Amazon streaming too.

Do you use a VPN for Netflix and Amazon?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, earthdome said:

No VPN.

Netflix is local in the Philippines now.  Seems to be about the same as the US. version I used to get.

Amazon (via Prime membership) works over here for quite a bit of content but some things are blocked.  I just recently started using it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Markham
Posted
Posted
On 06/07/2017 at 0:40 PM, earthdome said:

On 06/07/2017 at 1:38 PM, OnMyWay said:

No VPN.

Netflix is local in the Philippines now.  Seems to be about the same as the US. version I used to get.

Amazon (via Prime membership) works over here for quite a bit of content but some things are blocked.  I just recently started using it.

As I discovered about a year ago, there is no need to use a dedicated VPN, I simply changed my DNS to this provider. It does offer VPN if you really want it but I've found that to be unnecessary and I'm able to watch BBC, ITV and Channel Four TV (which are all geo-restricted).

Part of its modus operandi is that it checks that your current external IP Address is known to it as your "live" IP Address whenever it intercepts a page request for a geo-restricted web site. If its own records show your IP Address is different, you will be redirected to its web site and ask to click on a link to update your external IP Address. As external IP Addresses are apt to change, sometimes quite frequently, it can be a bit boring to keep clicking that damn update link; so I wrote a small (Windows) desktop app that monitors my IP and updates as necessary. I am happy to make that small app freely available to anyone who wants a copy.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Markham said:

As I discovered about a year ago, there is no need to use a dedicated VPN, I simply changed my DNS to this provider. It does offer VPN if you really want it but I've found that to be unnecessary and I'm able to watch BBC, ITV and Channel Four TV (which are all geo-restricted).

Part of its modus operandi is that it checks that your current external IP Address is known to it as your "live" IP Address whenever it intercepts a page request for a geo-restricted web site. If its own records show your IP Address is different, you will be redirected to its web site and ask to click on a link to update your external IP Address. As external IP Addresses are apt to change, sometimes quite frequently, it can be a bit boring to keep clicking that damn update link; so I wrote a small (Windows) desktop app that monitors my IP and updates as necessary. I am happy to make that small app freely available to anyone who wants a copy.

Sounds like it is acting as a proxy service if you are not using a VPN.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Markham said:

I would like it, please.

Markham
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MikeB said:

I would like it, please.

Certainly .

The Zip file is attached. Simply unzip - I suggest to the root of your (first) hard drive and then, using Explorer, click on the AutoIPA.exe file to invoke it. Right-click on its Taskbar button and select "Pin to Taskbar" - that will enable you to start it more easily in future.

You need to be logged-in to Smart DNS and select "Smart DNS Proxy API" from the Options menu.

You will see something similar to: image.png where the red lines obscure my 15 character key.

Now simply select one of the two web addresses including everything to the right of "update/" and past it into the space provided on AutoIPA's window; you will only need to do this once. When you click on OK, the program will simply appear at the bottom right corner of your display. Right-click on the display line to activate its context menu.

Enjoy!

AutoIPA.zip

• Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Works fine, thanks!