New visa requirements, Permanent Residence in Australia,

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just a footnote, our problem is not getting my wife here, it is being able to go back to the PI and leaving her financially comfortable if the need arises, legal ramifications. Cheers.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yes Steve, in February 2015 my wife came over on a 309 partner visa, married in April. Papers were lodged in February 2015 in Manila and this meant we had to wait 2 years before lodging her PR forms, plenty of paperwork in that too, mostly the same as we lodged at the beginning of the process. The PR process was to take 5 months (quoted on paperwork on her visa ) from lodgement of PR to granting or not, now according to her IMMI account the process will take 11 to 22 months to process. In April our Prime minister changed 457 visa application to block a path for working migrants from gaining PR status then citizenship, this has also had detrimental affect on all visa applicants. Jeff advised me during the week about the tourist visa, I believe that you can only sponsor once in five years and get two tourist visa's on your first application, that I believe has changed too. The world and Visa's change to rapidly for an old hand like me. Thanks for your patience as I'm an old bushy, words are not my forte. Cheers

I hear you, frustrating indeed, we were advised 8 to 12 months for 309 hence them granting 12 month tourist visa. Downunder advised 3 to 4 years to gain PR in Oz providing we met all the criteria and paperwork was correct, Jeff was a stickler for that and slapped us on a few occasions, obviously they know what they are doing as we both have our SO's here in Oz. As said once the 100 application was submitted it took a further 11 months, at the end of the day even if it took 4 or 5 years, if it's the person you love and wish to spend the rest of your life with, the wait is nothing really. Bengie secured a good job 3 months after his TR was granted, gained all the perks that Aussies have apart from subsidised study for further education, now with PR can apply for this if he wishes. Ah, he can't vote as not a citizen, but contributes to our economy with taxes and spending.

I don't understand why you can't bring your stepson here on a tourist visa, can you enlighten me/us as we will bring some family members here and never thought it a problem as long as they go home, we sponsor etc. not heard of the "once in 5 years" thing but I'm sure you have looked into it, can you give some advice with your experience on this as we may need to do more research if needed.

Also Clermont, I am sure you are aware of the 5 year requirement for travelling/returning PR holders, the visa class changes, others may not be aware but something Bengie and I need to do in a few years for him to hold his status here even though we will be living in PH but keep the door open so to speak.

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/i-am-a-permanent-resident-what-documents-do-i-need-to-come-back-into-australia

Cheers, Steve 

Edited by bigpearl

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks Steve, yes most of what you have said is correct in timing, my wife came over here on her Visitor (class FA ) Visitor ( Subclass 600 ) ( 600 visa means multiple 3 months entry, have to go home every three months and must be in the PI when they make a decision to grant you the ( subclass 309 visa ), ( subclass 600 ) valid for twelve months from decision date). The subclass 600 was lodged the same date as Partner ( Provisional ) ( UF ) ( subclass 309 )/ Partner ( Migrant ) ( class BC ) ( subclass 100 ). But stating the first sentence as being near correct, there are a lot of visa applications that produce the same outcome, we had already satisfied the immigration that we had known each other for a long period of time and had regular contact, that's why we had such an easy run, plus my wife is a stickler for crossing T and dotting I. I suppose frustration does set in with the amount of duplicating and bull they want you to do and in the middle of the process they change the rules. As for the sponsor " once in 5 year rule " it's in your guide lines when you first make an application. Thanks on the heads up on the travelling/ returning PR holders. We are both in our mid 60's, I think once we go over there, we won't be returning, the PR is the only thing holding us up, Australian legal inheritance rules complicate things without the PR. Like you said, "if you love them, it's up to you to protect them." Cheers.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Thanks Steve, yes most of what you have said is correct in timing, my wife came over here on her Visitor (class FA ) Visitor ( Subclass 600 ) ( 600 visa means multiple 3 months entry, have to go home every three months and must be in the PI when they make a decision to grant you the ( subclass 309 visa ), ( subclass 600 ) valid for twelve months from decision date). The subclass 600 was lodged the same date as Partner ( Provisional ) ( UF ) ( subclass 309 )/ Partner ( Migrant ) ( class BC ) ( subclass 100 ). But stating the first sentence as being near correct, there are a lot of visa applications that produce the same outcome, we had already satisfied the immigration that we had known each other for a long period of time and had regular contact, that's why we had such an easy run, plus my wife is a stickler for crossing T and dotting I. I suppose frustration does set in with the amount of duplicating and bull they want you to do and in the middle of the process they change the rules. As for the sponsor " once in 5 year rule " it's in your guide lines when you first make an application. Thanks on the heads up on the travelling/ returning PR holders. We are both in our mid 60's, I think once we go over there, we won't be returning, the PR is the only thing holding us up, Australian legal inheritance rules complicate things without the PR. Like you said, "if you love them, it's up to you to protect them." Cheers.

All good mate, your better half will get her PR and in the interim enjoy your life and time in Oz. The fun starts when you/I move to the chosen land.

The 12 month multi entry visa meant we went on holidays every 3 months, always to destinations where Bengie didn't require a visa to visit, destinations that we both chose and places I hadn't visited prior, great times.

As for sponsoring relatives I better read up on that again, TY for the insight. Give us a heads up on inheritance law from Aussie/foreign nationals as you see it, you have obviously researched this, something I have thought little about, I always thought a will was a will in Oz. Joining in in other posts on this site (very informative) I see/learn that if we live in PH we probably have to re execute to the country we live in, another mine field.

BTW welcome to this excellent forum and thank you for your input and informative contributions.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Inheritance laws, that's a bigger mine field than migration laws, what you bequeath in your will, doesn't always happen. All wills are contestable especially if you haven't left anything to children of previous marriage regardless of time since last contact with them. Trusts are open to attack especially if you have left it for Grandchildren. The parents can go to the court house and apply for funds for schooling, food for the children, clothing, rent, just about anything that the child who is named on the trust needs. This bit of advice is free, solicitors charge in excess of $ 500 per hour for this advise, ha ha. By moving to PI, Australia has no bilateral agreement to return any money from an PI account especially if the account is in both names. Money is frozen until the estate is finalized and any money left in Australia is still contestable, but if your partner is legally married and recognized legally by both countries and has PR status, the court looks more favorably on her. Your wife can excess living expenses set out by the court. Sorry for getting of the said topic, but many of us think we're bullet prof and don't make allowances for the one we love and leave her open to a life we took them from. Can you imagine a Filipino partner trying to navigate the legal mine field. Cheers

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2017 at 6:56 AM, mogo51 said:

As Jack points out, this is not Philippine specific but rather a strengthening of citizenship laws in general.  I see no problems with it and has a good bit to do with trying to control the Muslim 'insurgency' in Australia.  Whilst it is not to the level as Murawi for example, it has potential none the less.

It may take a little longer to get your partner to Australia, but it is just the way it is.  This movement is world wide and increasing.

Are you from Clermont?  I had the pub at Alpha back many years ago.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2017 at 6:33 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I know a Filipina who had no trouble getting a tourist visa and visited I think 3 times. This was only recently as in the past 6 months or so. 

RE: Morning Jeff

Tue 27/06, 13:05

You forwarded this message on 27/06/2017 16:57

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yep, bloody cold here, cold out Alpa way too, now you know why I'm bolting for the sunshine.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 30 June 2017 at 11:33 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I know a Filipina who had no trouble getting a tourist visa and visited I think 3 times. This was only recently as in the past 6 months or so. 

My gf back then(wife now) visisted me in Australia for three months no problem. I was just on a temp working holiday visa for two years. Aslong as they have proper income or you can prove that you have money to pay for their trip, then the tourist visa is still kinda easy.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Aslong as they have proper income or you can prove that you have money to pay for their trip, then the tourist visa is still kinda easy.

In the case I am talking about she had nothing. Not even a job but seems a good agency was able to get her visa approved. 

• Like 1