Cooking hot dogs

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not so much a recipe.  Put hot dogs in water and bring to a boil.  But more of a question

Why do Philippine hot dogs (Virginia brand specifically) come with a condom on and full of red dye?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

why wrap twice?

To be sure , to be sure, as some would say Oooops.jpg Forgetting myself here:hystery:

• Like 2

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

If i was to guess its to keep them from going bad once the pack is opened. In the west we will refrigerate and use within a couple of days or throw away and think nothing of it. 

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

If i was to guess its to keep them from going bad once the pack is opened. In the west we will refrigerate and use within a couple of days or throw away and think nothing of it. 

Yes refrigeration is a great idea for those that can afford but a condom on your hot dog out of the fridge? How long will it last? Filipinos have iron guts's. Better to take the wrapping off, cook and eat. (I know this but forget) For me the double packaging is a waste of time and even more pollution in the waterways and oceans and embarrassing when I have served them with a rain coat on, at least my guests won't have unwanted progeny but I have a red face and we all laugh. 

Back to you Dave, the red dye is to make them look attractive, black blue or red colouring hides many facts.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/07/whats-hot-dog-made/

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not so much a recipe.  Put hot dogs in water and bring to a boil.  But more of a question

Why do Philippine hot dogs (Virginia brand specifically) come with a condom on and full of red dye?

It's partly tradition and partly (maybe mostly) the cost to retool their manufacturing plants to make caseless hot dogs. 

When made, hot dogs are basically a slurry that's injected into a natural (or edible synthetic) casing or mold which are then flash chilled. Incidentally, most of your cheaper deli meats are made the same way, such as bologna, turkey, ham, turkey pastrami and even roast beef (Arby's comes to mind). 

As far the red dye is concerned, all hot dogs once had red dye in them. In the 60's is was thought that red dye was carcinogenic, so most manufacturers stopped using it. However some switched to adding a safe red dye to their hot dogs to keep with tradition, but it's mostly a regional thing now. 

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We don't have them often but 'Tender Juicy' seems the most palatable out of what is available down my way. Saw undyed ones on a stall at the market the other day, cooked on BBQ. Thought I might try one but bottled it in the end. I think it was the flies nesting that put me off!

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is the bottom line.  If I remember to remove the condom, and if I cook them well.  Virginia hot dogs do not give me igit like some of them other brands do.  I can live with the red dye, it pretty much comes out in the cooking.  Its the why that bothers me.  Virginia Hot Dogs would be "almost" as good as American hot dogs if they did not have condoms and red dye.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is the bottom line.  If I remember to remove the condom, and if I cook them well.  Virginia hot dogs do not give me igit like some of them other brands do.  I can live with the red dye, it pretty much comes out in the cooking.  Its the why that bothers me.  Virginia Hot Dogs would be "almost" as good as American hot dogs if they did not have condoms and red dye.

Have you tried the German Hotdogs? Closest I have found, until I tried them the New York Hot Dogs had the taste leed.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Have not found a hotdog I like yet here. All salty and just not what l like. :mellow:

• Like 2