Cooking hot dogs

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes.  I find that I like to stick to one brand which I know that I like (Virginia) and then I know I can safely remove the plastic sleeve before inserting the wiener into the saucepan.  Its not like its going to fall apart when it gets wet.  It plumps up a bit as it heats up but that's all.  In fact, leaving the plastic on restricts it from plumping up so the end result is often a horribly misshapen wiener!

I haven't figured out why they wrap them like that. The jumbo German Hot dogs come in plastic sleeves, easy to remove before cooking as they are not the casing. Miss removing it before putting on the grill and they cook strange, smell strange, look nasty, and a pain to remove once 'melted' onto the hot dog. Searching for a reason gives me results of others basically say WTF? also.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

German hotdogs from S&R

I'll look for these.

Thanks Queenie

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I'll look for these.

Thanks Queenie

They are really worth trying Gratefuled. They will be labeled with the German name "wienerle" which I guess translates to wiener. Quite a few in a shrink wrapped package in the deli sausage case. The natural casings have a nice "snap" to them.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I use Highlands all-beef (with Angus) hot dogs from SM Market since they taste almost like American all-beef hotdogs.

I won't mention the cooking process since it's very strange how they are wrapped and everyone already knows what to do with them.

The funny thing is that my family hasn't eaten the red TVP hot dogs ever since they've eaten all-beef hot dogs. They claim that all-beef hot dogs really do taste better.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

To be sure , to be sure, as some would say Oooops.jpg Forgetting myself here:hystery:

Jack--those great European delis in Dumaguete  must carry a great hotdog? Have you found any?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Johnsonville Garlic Brats, nothing better. SR and SM usually carry them

I give them a try when I get there Scott.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think I have figured out why they need the plastic and why they have the red colour.  In 2 words: Meat Glue.  As I understand this new video, you are fine provided you cook the meat for a long time but the meat glued together can harbor bacteria that needs a lot of cooking to kill.  This is Philippines.  I know they use this product a lot.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I agree JGF, there is nothing nice I can say about a hot dog - synthetic rubbish. Give me a good Aussie burger anyday (with beetroot).

And Pineapple mate.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

And Pineapple mate.

Cheers, Steve.

Of course.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I have figured out why they need the plastic and why they have the red colour.  In 2 words: Meat Glue.  As I understand this new video, you are fine provided you cook the meat for a long time but the meat glued together can harbor bacteria that needs a lot of cooking to kill.  This is Philippines.  I know they use this product a lot.

TY for sharing Dave, a little eye opener for the unwary, me.

Cheers, Steve.