Cooking hot dogs

Howard
Posted
Posted

I really dislike the Filipino hotdogs! The only ones that I've had that are really good are from the S&R pizza shops. They are US quality hotdogs! Nice Garlicky taste, reminds me of a Nathans or Sabrett dog. They have decent pizza too!

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

My wife had caregiving duty today so I stuck around Duma until 8am when Robinson (and Handyman) opened. Here are pics of the former closest to US hot dogs, the New York, and my current closest, the German - which are in a casing, inside individual plastic wrappers.

20170703_080854.jpg  20170703_080825.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

the New York, and my current closest, the German

The New York is nice, but its still made by the "Virginia" company so I find it like an upscale Virginia hot dog.  The German is made by Pure Foods which I find to be a pretty decent company for hot dogs and bacon but their prices are much higher than the Virginia products so I sacrifice a small amount of quality for a much better price (IMHO).  I do the same when I buy Hunts ketchup instead of Heinz.  I prefer Heinz but its not sufficiently better quality to justify the much higher price tag (again IMHO)

Food is expensive here.  I suppose it is everywhere.  It eats up (pun unintended but I'll go with it) about 1/4 of my monthly budget.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The New York is nice, but its still made by the "Virginia" company so I find it like an upscale Virginia hot dog.  The German is made by Pure Foods which I find to be a pretty decent company for hot dogs and bacon but their prices are much higher than the Virginia products so I sacrifice a small amount of quality for a much better price (IMHO).  I do the same when I buy Hunts ketchup instead of Heinz.  I prefer Heinz but its not sufficiently better quality to justify the much higher price tag (again IMHO)

Food is expensive here.  I suppose it is everywhere.  It eats up (pun unintended but I'll go with it) about 1/4 of my monthly budget.

Pretty decent is a good description, so is pricy, especially for the German. Worth keeping in mind as a treat when you want a hot dog but the same old thing.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Food is expensive here.  I suppose it is everywhere

The thing about here is that there are next to nothing in promos. In Toronto, often there are buy 1 get 1 free for whole chickens, rack of ribs, pork chops, bacon, wieners, Kraft 1 kg crunchy peanut butter, Johnsonville Brats, Clover Leaf tuna, and Heinz ketchup 1 L. Last trip, I brought 4 one kg of Kraft crunchy peanut butter that cost $3 C or 108p each expiry January 2018. SM has Skippy 500 kg for 320p. (6 times the price equivalent).

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jpbago said:

Johnsonville Brats

I used to eat them very often in the US. I do eat them here but the freezing, letting them thaw, and refreezing cycle who knows how many times before purchase really knocks the crap out of the flavor. Certainly not the same as never frozen and potentially dangerous.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our local Robinson's has some dogs they sell loose pack for p10 each.  They are still wrapped in plastic but the flavor is ok.  I have no idea of a brand name.

I don't understand the pan frying them, though.  Not very good.  I always boiled them (what I learned as a kid). It confused my wife at first ha ha,

I just got my new Char Broil gill today and tomorrow is grocery shopping... I see some grilled dogs in my future.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2017 at 0:24 AM, AlwaysRt said:

Have you tried the German Hotdogs? Closest I have found, until I tried them the New York Hot Dogs had the taste leed.

Yes Steve I also use the new yorker style hotdogs,where do you buy your buns?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yes Steve I also use the new yorker style hotdogs,where do you buy your buns?

Generally gave up on buns here, just use the Gardenia bread. My wife has gotten not sweet buns from a local bakery before but they don't make them every day and when they do they sell out by mid morning.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I did not realize they were plastic wrapped until I cooked my first batch.  I didn't catch one until after having to cut it with a steak knife and then trying to chew the damn thing.  Kind of reminds me of some graffiti that I saw written on a condom vending machine in a restroom.  "Don't buy this gum, its old and tastes like rubber" :whistling:

• Like 3