Cooking hot dogs

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

My wife has gotten not sweet buns from a local bakery before but they don't make them every day and when they do they sell out by mid morning.

Tell the boss that you went to Harvard and that you know how that he can make more money.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

I have also done the hot dog with plastic cover still on :(

Now like the taste of the Purefoods ones, with garlic fried rice and a nice runny egg on top with banana ketchup...........gone completely local!

To an Englishman that just sounds oh so wrong for a breakfast though

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

You couldn't pay me to eat something that needs a condom and has a longer lifespan than a giant tortoise. :popcorn:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted (edited)
On July 3, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

The New York is nice, but its still made by the "Virginia" company so I find it like an upscale Virginia hot dog.  The German is made by Pure Foods which I find to be a pretty decent company for hot dogs and bacon but their prices are much higher than the Virginia products so I sacrifice a small amount of quality for a much better price (IMHO).  I do the same when I buy Hunts ketchup instead of Heinz.  I prefer Heinz but its not sufficiently better quality to justify the much higher price tag (again IMHO)

Food is expensive here.  I suppose it is everywhere.  It eats up (pun unintended but I'll go with it) about 1/4 of my monthly budget.

In the US I pretty much just eat a few of the beef dogs, Nathan's , Hebrew Nationals and Sabretts. No Oscar Mayer or BallPark. Here I'm with you , a kg of New Yorkers for 170 php is a great deal here. The NY 's are very firm so good texture. I have found by cooking in the micro on low for a few minutes and pulling before they balloon up to be preferable. I use the hot dog  rolls from Baker Bobs in Robinsons, they are a tad sweet. Sure they aren't anything close to a Nathan's so you just do something like this 

image.pngAnd you'll hardly notice the difference. Started making dill pickles so this reminded me to take a stab at pickling some espadas which I have just been throwing on raw, cleaned of course. I don't need no stinking relish either but maybe a Birdseye or 2.

Edited by bang4dabuck

Domino22
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2017 at 8:16 PM, kalibojerry said:

here is a picture of the best hot dogs in America I used these when I was a Chef, Nathan or Hebrew are the ones I used,  in the Philippines the best one I found being a Philippine hot dog is the Giant hot dog by Pure Food Tasty Hot Dogs the cost is around 180 peso for 8 dogs the best way is to boil them all hot dogs are on the salty side   give these a try you will not be sorry

27716374be80753ed674753141ab874083822ce2.jpg

Yep Nathans or Hebrew are #1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Try Johnsonville Garlic Brats, SR and SM have them, my go to here.

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

My balikbayan box just came in with my new portable gas grill. Ready to hum on some bacon blue cheese burgers. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2017 at 9:11 AM, AlwaysRt said:

My wife had caregiving duty today so I stuck around Duma until 8am when Robinson (and Handyman) opened. Here are pics of the former closest to US hot dogs, the New York, and my current closest, the German - which are in a casing, inside individual plastic wrappers.

20170703_080854.jpg  20170703_080825.jpg

Hmm RT I think you may be better eating the packaging - hotdogs have never done it for me, no matter where they are from.  Now a good Aussie meat pie, that is very different. But hey to each his own as they say, hope you enjoy them.

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Hmm RT I think you may be better eating the packaging - hotdogs have never done it for me, no matter where they are from.  Now a good Aussie meat pie, that is very different. But hey to each his own as they say, hope you enjoy them.

Think of all the good nitrites you're missing !!! 

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted