Getting Started Wish List

Neil Bauman
Posted
Posted

I plan to arrive in the Philippines in late October for a six month visit to explore the possibility of making it my retirement home.

My wish list:

Near access to diving (major tourist areas not necessary)

Good coffee

Cheep furnished apartment (cheeper apt. more diving)

Outside of the large metropolitan areas.

I prefer to live and learn amongst the local population but close proximity to the expat community is preferred.

I don't plan on being a tourist but do expect to search out a few places.

Other than diving, my wish list is very flexible and open to your suggestions.

Have you any thoughts on where I should get started? 

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Try Tripadvisorr.com, 

Things to do in the Philippines

Something for everyone.

Have fun, enjoy. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

It's a bit out in the sticks.

The place I mentioned, Zamboangita, is also out in the sticks so the member surely needs to decide in advance if he wants to live urban or rural.

• Like 5

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Neil Bauman said:

I plan to arrive in the Philippines in late October for a six month visit to explore the possibility of making it my retirement home.

My wish list:

Near access to diving (major tourist areas not necessary)

Good coffee

Cheep furnished apartment (cheeper apt. more diving)

Outside of the large metropolitan areas.

I prefer to live and learn amongst the local population but close proximity to the expat community is preferred.

I don't plan on being a tourist but do expect to search out a few places.

Other than diving, my wish list is very flexible and open to your suggestions.

Have you any thoughts on where I should get started? 

Welcome Neil,

Not a diver myself, only snorkel. Not sure if you have been to the Phills before, if not expat sites such as these and our best friend google hold many answers if you do the hard yards. All places/areas here are special and unique for travellers as well as those that choose to live/retire in what they, me too consider our piece of paradise for our given reasons. Good coffee I have found only comes in/with trendy tourist regions and then it can be hit and miss, a business that we have considered as well as surf schools and accommodation for the,,,,, yes tourist trade, time will tell.

Enjoy your time where ever you choose to visit, I am sure you will appreciate very much but as said research is a prerequisite no different to travels to other destinations around the world. Welcome to the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Neil Bauman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the quick informative responses. There's a large Philippine population here in Saskatoon. The ones I've talked to so far all have very diverse ideas as well. I guess I'll sort out what I can from this end and "boots on the ground" when I get there. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You are so  sceptical Snowy, but mostly correct.  If you think they are like that in Philippines, come to Thailand, where they have made it an art form!