My Wife wants to Drive the car!

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I need to teach mine how to drive. She knows how to handle a motorbike, but not a car. Here in the US, you pretty much have to know how to drive.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife has been driving the car ever since she came to the UK

She is still driving it now from the back seat! :whistling: yes dear.

Edited by Kuya John
normal spelling mistake
  • Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife cautions me while out driving to watch out for all the idiots out on the road. Especially the one behind the wheel of our car. I think I taught her too well.

• Like 2

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

What is being said is so true about the wives my sweetheart has her drivers licence but can not drive she thinks she can because she has her licence I have taken her out driving when we had a multicab it had an auto trans so no shifting the gears took her to a place where there were no traffic she would not go over 10 km , then I bought an mulitcab stick had her drive it around the block never took it out of 1st gear then after 2 weeks told her she had to change gears the first thing she did was crash into are other multicab had have both fix cost 20 thousand peso each to fix after that no more driving now that I bought a Ranger she wants to drive again I told her that she did not how to drive and that the Ranger is much bigger and harder to drive than the other cars does not want to listen it scares the wholly shit out of me as I know if I let her drive the Ranger it is a wreck going to happen so yes I know how everyone feels about this

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, using it to wash the car that is dented on all four corners.

My advice . . . if possible just keep telling her no but with LOVE , "Honey it is not safe for you to drive, I love you too much to risk you being injured or even die in an auto accident.":SugarwareZ-004:

If that does not work, hire someone to teach her.  The day before you actually let her start driving the car on her own . . . set aside a few hours and a six pack of San Miguel.  Spend some quiet time with just you and the car.  Admire the paint, the shiny chrome, clean floor mats, that nice "new car" smell, not at all like dried fish.  Talk to the car about all the good times you had together.  Apologize to the car for what is about to happen, say good bye, maybe even take a last picture of just you and the car together. :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

I need to teach mine how to drive. She knows how to handle a motorbike, but not a car. Here in the US, you pretty much have to know how to drive.

After spending half her life in the outback provinces where driving is anything goes, I think that it would be difficult and scary for my wife to start driving in Toronto and on the freeways. One should acclimatize over many years generally from their teens to get used to it. Even now, it takes 3 years to get a full driver's license.

A few years ago, many Indians were having accidents in Toronto, mostly while driving 18 wheelers. Upon investigation, it was discovered that some Indian driving schools was giving new Indian immigrants a commercial truck licence. One day they were driving a rickshaw in Mumbai and the next week they were hauling 100 cows down the freeway in an 18 wheeler.

Learning to drive: graduated licensing

Once you pass your eye and written tests, you get a G1 licence. Before you can get a full G licence, you have to:

finish two learning levels: G1 and G2.

pass two road tests

This process is called “graduated licensing.” It is designed to give new drivers time to practice and gain driving experience over time.

You have up to five years to finish the whole process. After five years, if you do not get your full G licence, you will need to start over.

G1 licence

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)

make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt

not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.

not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)

drive with a fully licensed driver who has:

at least four years of driving experience

a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat.  If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.

G1 road test

The G1 road test is the first of two you need to take as a new driver.

you can take your first road test after 12 months with a G1 licence

this exam tests basic driving skills (e.g., turning left and right, stopping, parking)

once you pass, you get your G2 licence

If you finish an government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months.

Ontario driving schools

To take the G1 road test sooner, you will need to choose a driving school that is certified to train new drivers.

Approved driving schools offering courses

Unlicensed driving schools to avoid

G2 licence

After passing your G1 road test, you get a G2 licence. You practice with your G2 licence for 12 months. You can now drive:

without another experienced driver in the car

on all Ontario roads

at any time of the day, in most cases

You must still:

have a zero blood alcohol level

carry only as many passengers as there are working seatbelts

If you are 19 and under, some other restrictions still apply.

G2 drivers: 19 and under

Between midnight and 5 a.m.: you can only drive with one passenger who is 19 or under in your car.

This condition applies for the first six months of G2. After six months, you can drive with up to three passengers 19 or under between midnight and 5 a.m.

This condition does not apply, if:

you have a fully licensed driver in the car (with four years plus experience driving)

your passengers are immediate family members (e.g., a parent, brother or sister)

G2 road test

This is the second of two road tests you take as a new driver.

you can take the test after 12 months with a G2 licence

the test covers more advanced driving skills (e.g., driving on a highway, parallel parking)

once you pass, you get a full G licence

Reboot
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, jpbago said:

After spending half her life in the outback provinces where driving is anything goes, I think that it would be difficult and scary for my wife to start driving in Toronto and on the freeways. One should acclimatize over many years generally from their teens to get used to it. Even now, it takes 3 years to get a full driver's license.

A few years ago, many Indians were having accidents in Toronto, mostly while driving 18 wheelers. Upon investigation, it was discovered that some Indian driving schools was giving new Indian immigrants a commercial truck licence. One day they were driving a rickshaw in Mumbai and the next week they were hauling 100 cows down the freeway in an 18 wheeler.

Learning to drive: graduated licensing

Once you pass your eye and written tests, you get a G1 licence. Before you can get a full G licence, you have to:

finish two learning levels: G1 and G2.

pass two road tests

This process is called “graduated licensing.” It is designed to give new drivers time to practice and gain driving experience over time.

You have up to five years to finish the whole process. After five years, if you do not get your full G licence, you will need to start over.

G1 licence

By law, when you have a G1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)

make sure every passenger with you wears a properly working seatbelt

not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.

not drive on 400-series highways or high-speed expressways (e.g., 401, Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), Gardiner Expressway)

drive with a fully licensed driver who has:

at least four years of driving experience

a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

The driver accompanying you must be the only other person in the front seat.  If you are driving with a driver instructor certified in Ontario, you can drive on any road.

In most cases, you practice with your G1 licence for 12 months.

G1 road test

The G1 road test is the first of two you need to take as a new driver.

you can take your first road test after 12 months with a G1 licence

this exam tests basic driving skills (e.g., turning left and right, stopping, parking)

once you pass, you get your G2 licence

If you finish an government-approved driver education course, you can take your first road test after just eight months.

Ontario driving schools

To take the G1 road test sooner, you will need to choose a driving school that is certified to train new drivers.

Approved driving schools offering courses

Unlicensed driving schools to avoid

G2 licence

After passing your G1 road test, you get a G2 licence. You practice with your G2 licence for 12 months. You can now drive:

without another experienced driver in the car

on all Ontario roads

at any time of the day, in most cases

You must still:

have a zero blood alcohol level

carry only as many passengers as there are working seatbelts

If you are 19 and under, some other restrictions still apply.

G2 drivers: 19 and under

Between midnight and 5 a.m.: you can only drive with one passenger who is 19 or under in your car.

This condition applies for the first six months of G2. After six months, you can drive with up to three passengers 19 or under between midnight and 5 a.m.

This condition does not apply, if:

you have a fully licensed driver in the car (with four years plus experience driving)

your passengers are immediate family members (e.g., a parent, brother or sister)

G2 road test

This is the second of two road tests you take as a new driver.

you can take the test after 12 months with a G2 licence

the test covers more advanced driving skills (e.g., driving on a highway, parallel parking)

once you pass, you get a full G licence

I'm from Miami, half the drivers there are fresh off the boat. It can be done....dangerously.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I consider myself a good driver as having driven without an accident in the US for many years. I still am frightened by the lack of real rules and chaos in the lanes here and only really feel the most comfortable and happy driving around the province in my Kia sedan, which is an automatic. I can't drive a stick and wouldn't want to learn. The SUV that we have is an automatic, and my husband wants to me to drive it, but I would never!

Both my twenty something nephews acquired cars-- the priest a used Volvo and the other nephew an old vintage Japanese sports car. They are both automatic.  They asked my husband to take them out around the neighborhood to show them about shifting steering etc. After that, the priest drove back to the city and my other nephew often drives back and forth to the city, and so far after about a year they have driven without incident. I guess many learn here the 'Baptism by Fire method," and they think as long as they drive slow and follow the crowd they just pick it up.

If it's your personal car that you depend on, as well as your only wife or SO, and your wife or SO is rather new to driving it might be a different story. I wouldn't like a fellow foreigner trying to teach me either--maybe a Filipino brother or good driving relative would be a better choice.:thumbsup:

I have a Filipina friend married to an American, and she learned to drive from a female friend that already knew how to drive. When I first started driving here, she told me "Just be fearless Queenie, and make sure to give the "sign of the cross" before you take off!" (which I do!") :smile: In fairness she is a great driver, and often drives around the town and even to the city to take her quite elderly husband to different doctors appointments.

My husband's motorcycle is pretty big, and although I could physically ride it maybe, I would never! I'm too fearful about the possibility of road rash or worse!!:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery: I told her that if she is going to cut corners best cut the Corner to suit LOLA cutting the corner.jpg:whistling:

Jack:shades:

Morning all :photo-109:

• Like 2