My Wife wants to Drive the car!

barryneves
Posted
Posted (edited)

The driving school you are referring to is Global Link in Dumaguete proper. They have both an automatic trans Wigo and a manual Sportage, both new. My missus learnt with them a few years back, when they only had a real beat up old manual trans Sportage. She took twenty hours of instruction, supplemented with a lot of practice up the back roads on our old 4-wheel drive Retona jeep. She chose to take another ten hours with the same instructor prior to being let out on her own. I spoke to the guy at this time and he was very professional and his assessment of her progress to date was the same as mine. I was pleasantly surprised. 

In another life I was a UK police officer with Class 1 advanced classification. As such, I was initially extremely concerned at the prospect of letting her fly solo. However, since then, she has evolved into a very safe driver with extremely good anticipation and awareness. I am very happy to let her drive me whenever she sees fit. Quite often, when I'm driving, she'll see a situation developing and make a comment that invariably starts with " look at that idiot....." 

So yes, you could do far worse than use the aforementioned school. It will certainly avoid the usual pitfalls associated with teaching you SO new skills!

If interested, I can get their actual address and contact details for you. I pass the place most day but it's tucked away on a side road and the street name escapes me!

Best of luck! Cheers - Barry   

Edited by barryneves
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, barryneves said:

The driving school you are referring to is Global Link in Dumaguete proper.

That sounds like the one, thanks Barry.  They do a good job and I would surely send my SO there if she wanted to learn.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Global Link in Dumaguete

Found them, Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globalink-Driving-School/403555306328292

barryneves
Posted
Posted
Globalink Driving School 

Driving school in Dumaguete, Philippines

Address: Dr Miciano Rd, Dumaguete, 6200 Negros Oriental
Hours: 
Open today · 8AM–12PM, 1–7PM

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

I read all this and sympathise whole heartedly, some 5 years ago I asked Bengie why he didn't have a car drivers license and his response was I don't need one as I only have a motorbike. How difficult to get one? Easy I just go to LTO and get one, really?

2 days later after he went there he had car license, how did you do that so quickly I asked, simple, 500 pesos extra across the counter, so you can drive a car now? No I have never driven one, so how did you get a license? I told you that was an extra 500 pesos and no questions/tests required. So you can't drive a car but you have a license stating you can? Yes. Groan, ok you need lessons here, much cheaper than Oz, no you can teach me when we go back to Oz,,,,,,,,,, ok. Twice we tried when we moved back to Oz,,,,,,, very trying, nearly lost a luxury European car 3 times,,,,,,, lessons in a cheaper car with a professional so we don't yell at each other, some 1.5K AUD later he went for his license in an automatic car and failed,,,,,,,,miserably, more lessons, more costs but I was determined that if he drove one of our many cars he would do it properly,,,,,,,, next test,,,,,,,, fail. GROAN louder. Bengie how did you never get killed while riding your bike around in Manila? Very carefully was the answer. 

Third attempt success and nearly 4 years on, drives very well and never an accident, in control, drives 30 minutes each way to work (by himself) and not a scratch on any cars,,,,,,,,,,, the automatics but well done Bengie,,,,,,,, our manual cars he won't touch and is frightened of a manual gearbox, why I ask,,,,,,,,I don't have time for that,,,,,,,, but your bike in PH was manual, what's the difference?

Don't go there, the mindset is set in concrete and who am I to convince him to jump in the Land Cruiser or the 55 Chev to get experience with a manual gearbox, unfound fear I gather, needless but there, at the end of the day drives extremely well as long as it's an automatic, his loss in my opinion. Finally though total independence, good for our well being.

Cheers, Steve.

P.S. Long winded but I'm sure you get the drift, security and independence for all.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The asawa has been drive here in the UK for about 15 years now. When we are both in the car she won't drive, when she's out on her own I can't see. When we get to the Philippines in 139 weeks time she will have to drive as I won't be able to get a liecense on a BB. I won't bother with a 13a whilst we are snowbirding.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

When we get to the Philippines in 139 weeks time

Gary,

I have heard of counting the days, but that's two years and thirty five weeks time!

In that time I could learn to fly there. :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 7/8/2017 at 8:08 PM, scott h said:

want to End the marriage?   teach her

want to stay together?? hire someone

:thumbsup:

This is absolutely true. All joking aside have your wife attend an trusted driving school.

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

The asawa has been drive here in the UK for about 15 years now. When we are both in the car she won't drive, when she's out on her own I can't see. When we get to the Philippines in 139 weeks time she will have to drive as I won't be able to get a liecense on a BB. I won't bother with a 13a whilst we are snowbirding.

Agree, when together I am forced to drive, sometime I say no, I am going to have 2 or 7 drinks and then no choice, you have to drive home. Bengie drives every day for work and shopping when alone (shoes mostly, groceries also) but together 90% of the time it is me. In some 3 years of driving in Oz no accidents or scrapes to date. Manila a totally different story, even after years of riding motor bikes there, totally refuses to drive a car,,,,,,,but I being a little more assertive and having driven in dozens of big cities around the world  is just something you do. Once we are out of the traffic heading north or south from Manila, "My turn" sure mate you drive, no probs. Much easier in the provinces.

Gary 139 weeks will come much quicker than you think,,,,,,,,, we are down to week 101 from originally around 250 for the final move if all goes well, (frightening but exciting at the same time) but with work commitments and getting rid of surplus junk, cars etc? What do we pack into a shipping container, what to bring/keep, selling our home, the correct visa and navigating/collating all of the above to achieve our desired outcome? Week 99 or week 110 we will move and not look back as you and many other readers will do/have done, a dream we seem to all share for our own reasons and desired outcomes for a fortuitous and comfortable life within or chosen destination and within a great country. Sorry perhaps a little off track here but you get the drift. Enjoy the fruits of your labour and prosper.

BTW, you will end up driving or riding in PH. As we do.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2017 at 11:00 AM, Jack Peterson said:

:89: She has a License but never driven a car, So can I teach her? No in a short answer Why? mainly because she and many others I know ( Wives that is) cannot just follow simple Instructions on things, It is not like riding your Bike I say, So I now do (In readiness for the Pours later when I cave in) Do what I did in the UK when I trained for an Advanced Drivers Course. I give a Running Commentary on what is happening. Now before it was what I was doing and why, now it is what the others are doing and what they are doing wrong. So as we go by I say did you get that, NO I was looking at this and that but Honey, you must concentrate on what I am doing, WHY? you are Driving. YES dear but I am trying to get you into thinking ahead based on what is happening around you. I was, I was waving at So and So confused-man.png WTF do we do here fellow members?

There is a driving school here.I cant remember the name but maybe you should check it out.