My Wife wants to Drive the car!

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Guess I have lucked out on this subject. My wife drives all the time both in USA and in Philippines. When she first got here in California my mother paid for a few driving lessons. Before her arrival here, I had sent her a copy of the CA drivers handbook. She passed the written test on the first DMV visit. First time out with the instructor she gets rear ended by a Cadillac Escalade. Thought at first it would traumatize her for life! Thankfully not.

After a few months with the permit, she then went on for the DMV driving test. Many of her friends had failed the first, second and even third time at it! Number one thing they said was hope you do not get the Mexican lady. Sure enough, she got the Mexican lady. Still she passed with no major or minor problems. She has been driving now for 10+ years and I am still alive to sit here and type this out.

Now how to get the first car I bought her to the Philippines????

300ZX.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, FlyAway said:

Now how to get the first car I bought her to the Philippines????

In pieces in boxes to Mindanao and have someone in Mindanao put it together and register it as a "surplus vehicle"?  Seems that's how my Honda Civic got here, or so I'm told.  I've also been told I can only register it in Mindanao but can drive it anywhere.  Strange country.  It all seems to be legal somehow, I have all the correct receipts and registrations so it seems like it can be done.  But do you really want to do that?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

May be a possibility to tear it apart. Doing an engine swap in it soon. No big deal for me to tear it apart and reassemble.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My only attempt to teach my other half how to ride a motorcycle, finished with here A over T and me with another bad back pain as I tried to save her. Lessons over.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My wife had her first official driving lesson yesterday and is out on her second now.  I let her drive around a closed course a few times in my big Trailblazer but her normal car with be our Honda Brio, a small and easy to drive car.

The instructor uses a Vios and I was surprised to find out it is fitted with the passenger side brake pedal, like when I learned in the 70's in the U.S.  The car is not marked externally as "Student Driver".

I thought they would stay in our quiet neighborhood the first day so I was surprised to hear that they went far out.  He had her go down into the freeport then loop back through Olongapo City then up the mountain towards Dinalupian.  She seems to have done well and had more confidence when she got back.  Her main nervous point is when on a narrow street with parked cars and opposing traffic coming.

• Like 2

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

There are some decent YouTube videos on learning how to drive.  Might help.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 2/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, OnMyWay said:

My wife had her first official driving lesson yesterday and is out on her second now.  I let her drive around a closed course a few times in my big Trailblazer but her normal car with be our Honda Brio, a small and easy to drive car.

The instructor uses a Vios and I was surprised to find out it is fitted with the passenger side brake pedal, like when I learned in the 70's in the U.S.  The car is not marked externally as "Student Driver".

I thought they would stay in our quiet neighborhood the first day so I was surprised to hear that they went far out.  He had her go down into the freeport then loop back through Olongapo City then up the mountain towards Dinalupian.  She seems to have done well and had more confidence when she got back.  Her main nervous point is when on a narrow street with parked cars and opposing traffic coming.

Follow up on this.  My wife finished her driving lessons, 10 hours in one week and 2 hours class.  I'm on the fence on whether it was good or bad instructing.

Since then we have been driving around to get her some experience.  She does fine but still needs to practice the usual thing that new drivers have a hard time with:  parking.  I need to find a good place to drill her!  I wish I had some cones!

She went to LTO and got her license yesterday.  It was "easy" because she had some "help".  She only got a paper license but she said some of the people got their plastic right away.  Doesn't make sense.

We were talking to our neighbor's wife and she just got her license, and was bragging to my wife about driving all over.  I think that kicked my wife in the butt to go down and get hers.

Side note:  The American neighbor mentioned above bought his wife an almost brand new Mitsu Mirage.  2 months old, 1100 km, only p300,000!  Why?  The owner was a friend and died.  His wife sold it to my neighbor very cheap because they were friends.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have just hired a vios for a couple days, quite a nice car although basic. The wife drove it around without any problems. Got a bit close on the right side a few time which got me worried.:shock_40_anim_gif:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

parking.  I need to find a good place to drill her!  I wish I had some cones!

I used to do that when I was a teenager, but we called them "french safes" back then.

• Like 2

PaulB
Posted
Posted

When I was a Police Officer we always swore by a book called "Roadcraft" my advise would be get the book and make sure she reads it.

Paul

• Like 1