Living your dream

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Beer is cheaper than soft drinks OR bottled water in many Philippine locations.

All the more reason to drink some beers....Sign me up!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Again Dave, I am talking about going to the bar day after day, sitting and drinking 6 or more beers each time - that does raise the monthly budget considerably.

If you say so then it is true for you.

I wonder what @sonjack2847 has to say about that. :7500: "I" believe you will find its cheaper to sit and drink 6 or more beers each time (to use your example) than to go sit with the expats in the coffee shop and have one Bo's coffee.  So this is one area where I have to disagree with you.  Reason being that I am on a low budget, as is Kevin, and we both drink as many beers as we like without significant effect on the budget.  So I'm thinking one would have to be an alcoholic to raise the monthly budget considerably.  But that's just my thinking and you will see for yourself, once you are living here, that there are a LOT of low budget alcoholics who know where to buy cheap beers and consume lots of them.

In short, this place is an alcoholic's paradise and it attracts a few of them.  Just for comparison, when I go sit with Jack for a bit, I can buy 4 beers for 100 pesos, (US$2) in the local shop.  What would it cost to do that in Thailand?  Is there anyplace left that is cheaper?

Just to drag this out for one more statement.  I could not handle 6 beers a day, but if I could I would go sit with Jack and drink them.  It would increase my budget 150 pesos a day or 4,500 pesos a month, but no it wouldn't because if you deduct the coffees, soft drinks, bottled water and what not that I would have spent that 4,500 on I believe it would be budget neutral.

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Again Dave, I am talking about going to the bar day after day, sitting and drinking 6 or more beers each time - that does raise the monthly budget considerably.

6 beers or 3 cokes! Yes, seriously, cokes cost twice what a beer cost at the place we were at. (although the coke was price almost 8 times higher than at a local restaurant)

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you say so then it is true for you.

I wonder what @sonjack2847 has to say about that. :7500: "I" believe you will find its cheaper to sit and drink 6 or more beers each time (to use your example) than to go sit with the expats in the coffee shop and have one Bo's coffee.  So this is one area where I have to disagree with you.  Reason being that I am on a low budget, as is Kevin, and we both drink as many beers as we like without significant effect on the budget.  So I'm thinking one would have to be an alcoholic to raise the monthly budget considerably.  But that's just my thinking and you will see for yourself, once you are living here, that there are a LOT of low budget alcoholics who know where to buy cheap beers and consume lots of them.

In short, this place is an alcoholic's paradise and it attracts a few of them.  Just for comparison, when I go sit with Jack for a bit, I can buy 4 beers for 100 pesos, (US$2) in the local shop.  What would it cost to do that in Thailand?  Is there anyplace left that is cheaper?

Just to drag this out for one more statement.  I could not handle 6 beers a day, but if I could I would go sit with Jack and drink them.  It would increase my budget 150 pesos a day or 4,500 pesos a month, but no it wouldn't because if you deduct the coffees, soft drinks, bottled water and what not that I would have spent that 4,500 on I believe it would be budget neutral.

To answer Dave a San Miguel lt costs minimum 60bht here up to 90b depending where you drink. You may get it for 55b. Assume 60b (most common price) 360b day, 10,800mth ($200us round figures). There are plenty here that do it but live in a haze.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

How much.........the question is always interesting to me.  Another couple of years for me for early retirement and plans coming along well to support that.

I see the MIL/FIL live comfortably on 20k Peso a month and eat well and have a tipple.  I see other familys close by work as labour or farmer and get 350 peso/day so around 9000 month.

I have friend who lives very well on 60k peso a month and that includes rent 15k, daughters nursery school, live in maid and running a car.

So for me I think the 60k peso a month is more than enough..................

But, each to there own lifestyle

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What made me start this was the program from the other night, work out what you spend a year and times that by how many years you have left before the pension kicks in, yes the younger you are the more you have to have saved, and the older you are the less.

Many know me by now and my thoughts about moving here and there and have i enough, but i do not want to move anywhere until i know i have enough to visit places to maybe go and see my mates for a drink and maybe stay over.

I dont want to move and sit in a room knowing i cant go to different places because my budget cannot stretch that far, surely its better to have that back up in cash to do what we want when we want but within reason, but also the longer i leave it and others the older we are too.

Just to add to this , the cost of travel over there , flights and hotels, is it cheaper then booking from here to say fly to Bohol or other islands , because you are there can you get promos and good deals or is it the same price no matter where you are in the world when you book it.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I don't know about internal flights but international flights are much cheaper to book abroad than in the Philippines. We have just bought 3 tickets London Manila return on Cathay Pacific for next March for £440 each. To buy Manila London Manila in the Philippines would be £600-700.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Reason being that I am on a low budget, as is Kevin, and we both drink as many beers as we like without significant effect on the budget.

Being on a "low budget"  one can always live here on the expat forum as many do day in and day out. 

BYOD ( bring your own drink)

So, what if they started charging rent for those who live here online ???

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Being on a "low budget"  one can always live here on the expat forum as many do day in and day out. 

BYOD ( bring your own drink)

So, what if they started charging rent for those who live here online ???

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Would be sad, but a class action would turn the lazy suzan/table. Ain't going to happen so relax, drink and talk and enjoy inputs from unique individuals that offer experience, wisdom and sometimes twisted views on life, all contribute to greater and lessor degrees and as I sit here having a beer enjoying the dialog with like minded people am I a tennant or a squatter? Oh BTW how much is the rent to be a frequent visitor or permanent. 

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1