How do you spend your time in retirement?

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

So as the time 'till my retirement gets closer and closer I've done a lot of thinking about how I will be spending my time.  I've always thought that you need a plan to avoid possible boredom.  I've seen many retirees die pretty quickly after retiring and I've often wondered why.  Seems to me that retirement should be some of the best in quality of life.  And this is something I've been planning for since I got married to my wife 31 years ago.

So I thought "what are some things that I enjoy doing right now and what are some things I've always wanted to do, alone as well as with my wife."

I enjoy gardening on a regular basis.  My wife and I enjoy golf, swimming, reading, working on home projects and fishing.  My wife and I both enjoy traveling, both locally and internationally.

I've always wanted to write my own books and screenplays.  Not so much for personal gain as for my own enjoyment and to see if I can do it.  I've always wanted to learn Philippine martial arts such as Kali.  I've wanted to become fluent in tagalog.

My Filipina wife enjoys volunteering and taking art classes.

So I foresee an active, stimulating as well as relaxing retirement.

What do you all so it foresee yourself doing or are doing in the Philippines so you have the best quality of life possible?

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Greetings Balisidar,

Sounds like you have pretty much got things stitched up already, just continue doing all those things you enjoy or are wishing to enjoy.

Since retiring, I often wonder how I had time to go to work.

I guess that living permanently in Philippines is not on the cards for you and your wife, am I correct?

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

I guess that living permanently in Philippines is not on the cards for you and your wife, am I correct?

Hi Kuya John,

Actually our plan IS to live in the Philippines permanently.  We just aren't sure exactly where yet but we are tied between either Tagaytay or San Pablo Laguna.  U have about three years till we move.  What kind of things are you doing that are keeping you so busy?:popcorn::thumbsup:

Edited by Balisidar
Spelling

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Balisidar said:

Hi Kuya John,

What kind of things are you doing that are keeping you so busy?:popcorn::thumbsup:

Like yourself I enjoy travel, having visited many European countries since my wife's arrival in UK 12 years ago.

When visiting her family in Phil; we always take time out to visit one or two other islands and explore what's on offer sightseeing.

I also enjoy photography, walking, visiting national trust properties here in UK. occasional sea fishing, but only when my House boy job permit's :hystery:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

but only when my House boy job permit's :hystery:

Do you wear a pinny doing those chores John .:huh:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Hello and welcome. 

You've been married to a Filipina  now for 31 years and you're in Washington State now. You and her are both lucky. Have you ever been to the Philippines?  I assume your wife has family here.  Your wife has had the opportunity to see your homeland and now it is time for you to see hers. 

I'm not retired yet but I am married to a Filipina and plan to live in California when I retire. I want my wife to see my home country and all of its many different places of interest. I want her to meet my family and friends and they are anxious to meet her. 

Looks like we are going in different directions with the same goal in mind. 

Good Luck 

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Hello and welcome. 

You've been married to a Filipina  now for 31 years and you're in Washington State now. You and her are both lucky. Have you ever been to the Philippines?  I assume your wife has family here.  Your wife has had the opportunity to see your homeland and now it is time for you to see hers. 

I'm not retired yet but I am married to a Filipina and plan to live in California when I retire. I want my wife to see my home country and all of its many different places of interest. I want her to meet my family and friends and they are anxious to meet her. 

Looks like we are going in different directions with the same goal in mind. 

Good Luck 

Hi Gratefuled,

I've been to the Philippines many times.  I was stationed at Clark AFB for 7 years.  I left about one month before Mt. Pinatubo blew up in 1991.  She has family in Batangas.  

What are your plans on keeping busy in retirement?

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Balisidar said:

What are your plans on keeping busy in retirement?

Retirement is still a ways off for me. 

First on my list is to get my wife naturalised. Maybe dual citizenship.

I have an injury that keeps me from doing anything physical that I like. 

So, I hope to show my wife the part of the world she has not seen. So, first the continental USA will be a priority. Then, probably some other places around the world. My sisters hint that we could go to Rome and visit the Vatican. My cousin wants to visit Paris. 

So, travel around as much as possible to put a cap on my bucket list.

You will have to decide for yourself if the move to retire and live in the Philippines is what you really want.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I still spend too much time online..

Isn't this what most expats do here in the Philippines. 

It's cheap and affordable and takes hardly any physical effort. 

Oh, and drink San Miguel or Red Horse with other expats or locals.

• Like 1