How do you spend your time in retirement?

robert k
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

Beautiful pictures John, and just like mine we are not on them, it seems as we are the ones taking them, except 1

A few pictures of me so people can see what I looked like when I am gone. As for the rest, why spoil the view?:smile:

GPJ
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2017 at 0:01 AM, Balisidar said:

Hi all,

So as the time 'till my retirement gets closer and closer I've done a lot of thinking about how I will be spending my time.  I've always thought that you need a plan to avoid possible boredom.  I've seen many retirees die pretty quickly after retiring and I've often wondered why.  Seems to me that retirement should be some of the best in quality of life.  And this is something I've been planning for since I got married to my wife 31 years ago.

So I thought "what are some things that I enjoy doing right now and what are some things I've always wanted to do, alone as well as with my wife."

I enjoy gardening on a regular basis.  My wife and I enjoy golf, swimming, reading, working on home projects and fishing.  My wife and I both enjoy traveling, both locally and internationally.

I've always wanted to write my own books and screenplays.  Not so much for personal gain as for my own enjoyment and to see if I can do it.  I've always wanted to learn Philippine martial arts such as Kali.  I've wanted to become fluent in tagalog.

My Filipina wife enjoys volunteering and taking art classes.

So I foresee an active, stimulating as well as relaxing retirement.

What do you all so it foresee yourself doing or are doing in the Philippines so you have the best quality of life possible?

GPJ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just finished reading two great books on retirement "How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free" and "The Joy of Not Working"  both books are written by Ernie Zelinsky.  I bought both books as kindle books from Amazon and had them sent to my Ipad.  Terrific books with tons of excellent ideas of how to navigate through retirement.

Edited by GPJ
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Wow that can be exhausting, the equivalent of a 3 mile run. :thumbsup:

However by the time they are 4 years old, running after them might be a strain!

Wow I did not know that, from now I am going to run upto 12 a day and 15 at the weekends.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

i think that you need to have some kind of structure in your retirement ,i looked at buying a place in France a couple of years ago  and i met up with a group of expats ,within an hour i knew that their lifestyle was not for me , they just seemed to drink to excess and smoke too much , and despite having been out there for some time very few of them had made the effort to learn the language . That groups idea of a great night was their "fish and chip night" on a friday.

Ill download the books mentioned in a previous post ,the thoughts of raising a familly do not appeal to me , so ill look for something else to keep me occupied ,i think that self discipline will be key to having a great retirement

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

,i think that self discipline will be key to having a great retirement

Sure is but whatever you do, do it Sloooooooooooooooooowly:whistling:

• Like 5

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

im doing it slowly this morning ,pretending that im fishing :smile:

campsite_view.jpg

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sure is but whatever you do, do it Sloooooooooooooooooowly:whistling:

Slow and steady wins the race. Also, don't blow your wad in one bar errr umm place...

• Like 5