Raising a half-American child in the Philippines

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I am 63 years old and I’m the father of a 9 month old baby boy. This is my second marriage and I never thought in my wildest dreams that I’d be a daddy again at my age.

I must say that raising a baby is much easier for me this time around. I have grown children in the USA (from my first marriage) and caring for them as infants was an exhausting experience. However, here in the Philippines, my wife and I have the support of her extended family with caring for our baby boy.

I’d be interested in knowing what other parents in a similar situation have done. What kind of future can I realistically expect for my son if I raise him in the Philippines?... or should I plan on moving back to the USA because my son will have a better future there?

BTW: I just learned from another topic that I can get a US Passport for my young child.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I don't see a future for him in the Philippines.

I agree. Good for you and good for him. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Congratulations Mark!

You and I are the same age. Mark you are far from the only man with a newborn at that age.:smile:

My wife and I have two sons, age ten and fifteen. When we first got married it was our plan that we would retire early and move to Philippines. It didn't take long for us to realize there is very little future for our children living there. So then we thought we would live near Cebu City until they were ready for college then move back to the States. Once again it became clear the advantages of them living here. The Jesuit school in Cebu City would clearly provide an over all better learning experience in most aspects but there are far too many advantages them living in the States. Anyway that was our decision and you and your wife may think differently. 

One more thing. My nephew is four living outside Cebu City and going to a Chinese school. His mother I think of as my daughter  he calls me Daddy (that can be another topic someday) He speaks perfect english with very little accent and is learning Mandarin Chinese now. He can read fairly well and is starting to write too. So there are very good schools in Philippines finding them is not always easy.

Good luck!

Edit; In regards to the topic HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME IN RETIREMENT we know Marks answer. :whistling:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

depending on the age of the parent and his income ,university in the UK costs £9000.00 a year ,however if you are in a low income bracket the fees drop , it was £3000.00 a year until quite recently ,i managed to get all 3 of mine on the 3k tarriff .I may be wrong but i think that if you are on a low income then its free ,so if you are retired on money that goes some distance in the phils ,it may be that that same amount gets your kids a free education ,its the hard working familys in the UK  pay ,the bone idle do not ,thats not to say that someone on a hard earned pension is part of the job dodger community:smile:

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I am 63 years old and I’m the father of a 9 month old baby boy. This is my second marriage and I never thought in my wildest dreams that I’d be a daddy again at my age.

So cool man.  Good to know guys like you.  At 56, it keeps my dreams alive to have a family of my own someday.  

• Like 4