Raising a half-American child in the Philippines

marine6357
Posted
Posted

I want to thank you all for the info you have given me I am not yet married to my gf and she is not pregnant but when that time comes me personally think we will live in the US at least until the child is 4-5 years old. Also I think it would be easier with the US government issues being no question about the child's citizenship. Just one thought tho if kid is born in US do they also get duel citizenship In PI?

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MikeB said:

That translates into “following orders” that often make no sense and a lack of being able to think independently and lack of decision-making skills.

Those in power like it that way.

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted
On July 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM, MikeB said:

Nice to hear from you as well. Glad things worked out. Our child looks 100% Caucasian, in a million years you would not think he was half Filipino, which caused my wife a lot of grief over there being constantly asked, "Who's baby is that"? She kept quiet but our helper would curse at them and tell them to mind their own business. They're not known for subtlety. All the best to you.

Yeah some even thinks my wife is the yaya . My child is my clone. What they all says. Lol.

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, marine6357 said:

I want to thank you all for the info you have given me I am not yet married to my gf and she is not pregnant but when that time comes me personally think we will live in the US at least until the child is 4-5 years old. Also I think it would be easier with the US government issues being no question about the child's citizenship. Just one thought tho if kid is born in US do they also get duel citizenship In PI?

If child is born in the U.S. you need to go to the nearest Ph. consulate and report the child birth. Apply for Ph. passport. If wife is a U.S. citizen she will loose her Ph. citizenship, however she can reapply for her Ph. citizenship. Went through the same scenario with my wife and daughter. everything went smoothly, no hassle. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On 7/17/2017 at 8:45 AM, Mr-T said:

The world is changing rapidly with technology and so many things. Asia i believe will someday catch up or get closer to the west. There will be good job opportunities here i do beleive. 

You could make the point that HK, Singapore, Japan and S Korea are already there. But these nations are separate entities; different languages and cultures. Is a Philippine’s degree going to be recognized any more in the leading Asian countries than the west?

The Philippines has a big advantage of being the sole Asian country where English is widely known. But ESL training is booming in China and Korea, they’re hiring Filipinos to teach rudimentary English online and paying little. The big advantage will become less and less over time.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

You could make the point that HK, Singapore, Japan and S Korea are already there. But these nations are separate entities; different languages and cultures. Is a Philippine’s degree going to be recognized any more in the leading Asian countries than the west?

The Philippines has a big advantage of being the sole Asian country where English is widely known. But ESL training is booming in China and Korea, they’re hiring Filipinos to teach rudimentary English online and paying little. The big advantage will become less and less over time.

I would like for my children, when I have them, to grow up to be self employed and not toil for decades for someone else's benefit while gaining a bare living. Of course if your children are best suited to being someones employee they would do well to get certifications that employers would find attractive. For example, if you want to be a nurse in the US getting a nursing degree in the US would be a good idea.

• Like 3

Reedster
Posted
Posted

Has anyone tried to use a US-approved home schooling program for their child?  

I have a two-year-old daughter, and we are considering home schooling here.  If it works well, might move to Cebu and continue it.

Thoughts anyone?

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Reedster said:

Has anyone tried to use a US-approved home schooling program for their child?  

I have a two-year-old daughter, and we are considering home schooling here.  If it works well, might move to Cebu and continue it.

Thoughts anyone?

Reedster,I've thought sometimes that could be a decent option if away from the city. I would think that in Cebu City there could also be a comparable home school program to follow. Some folks must home school there.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Reedster said:

and we are considering home schooling here

Having been married for a long, long time, the only downside to home schooling would be the lack of making life long friends through out the different levels of school. Depending on your final decision as to move back to the USA or not. I am continually amazed at the number of friends my wife keeps in touch with, socializes with, in other words a support network, from elementary, high school and college. IMO he/she will miss out on this if home schooled and lives in the Philippines.

Just another thought to throw into the mix :smile:

• Like 4