Raising a half-American child in the Philippines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Seems to me something is wrong. The child was born here to a Filipino mother so the child is Filipino and a citizen of the Philippines. Once leaving the country the child will need the usual visa to enter where ever. 

The situation is where that child has claimed foreign citizenship by getting a foreign passport, but did not claim Filipino citizenship by getting a Filipino passport.  If you think about it, for travel purposes, it makes perfect sense.

If the kid goes to immigration at the airport to leave the country, and does not have a Filipino passport, only a foreign passport, they assume he is a foreign citizen.  What else could they do?  Even if he has his PSA birth certificate, that is meaningless for travel.  So, they can deny boarding until A.  Pay all fees and fines associated with being a foreign overstaying tourist   or   B.  Go get a Filipino passport.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Gary that is not correct, Filipinos can have dual nationality it is foreigners that can't

I stand by what I said. When a Filipino takes foreign citizenship they automatically loose their Filipino citizenship. The change in the law allowed them to reaquire filipino citizenship to become dual citizens. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I stand by what I said. When a Filipino takes foreign citizenship they automatically loose their Filipino citizenship. The change in the law allowed them to reaquire filipino citizenship to become dual citizens. 

That is when they naturalize to another country and loose their PH citizenship in certain circumstances.  It does not apply to a child born in the Philippines to a Filipino parent.  Like my kids.  Automatically they are dual.  Kids born overseas can be automatically dual too if one of the parents still has PH citizenship.

More here:

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/dual-citizenship

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

The situation is where that child has claimed foreign citizenship by getting a foreign passport, but did not claim Filipino citizenship by getting a Filipino passport.  If you think about it, for travel purposes, it makes perfect sense.

With out re reading the topic I thought that the child was here in the Philippines so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I will just bow out :smile: