What are some pros and cons about living in and/or away from the city?

khouji
Posted
Posted

Living away from the city for me is the better living in the city. You feel stress all the time and it seems time is too fast if you are in the city unlike in province the time moves slow and you can chill and relax. ;)

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, khouji said:

Living away from the city for me is the better living in the city. You feel stress all the time and it seems time is too fast if you are in the city unlike in province the time moves slow and you can chill and relax. ;)

I find it more convenient if the most necessary stuff is available near to my living location. And do not have to use a lengthy and stressy ride just to get the most basic stuff.

Aunt Edit means that I should say that my wife completely prefers to go and live in Davao. 

Edited by Dr. Shiva

ClearSky
Posted
Posted

One idea that some do is to have a couple of places,  one in a city and also one in the province perhaps near family instead of just one more expensive place.  As a side benefit,  if something going on around is annoying,  you can need to go to the other place for some time.

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, Gratefuled said:

What about YOU?

Good question.  I'm about to find out after I start my retirement ventures starting February 2018 with a two month vacation there.  Will start off staying in Makati for about a week, at the brand new Grand Hyatt hotel.  This should give me a taste of typical city living conditions around Bonifacio Global City.  

I will gradually start working backwards from there, by spending the next 2 weeks in Dumaguete, which is a bit more laid back with city amenities, then I'll chill out around Bohol for a month.  

Will be posting my thoughts here... 

• Like 2

khouji
Posted
Posted

Living in the city or the countryside has pros and cons, it's up to each individual how they will enjoy it. ;)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Everyone has their own wants & needs. My wife has a friend that is thinking about moving out of the city, to the other side of the island. Mostly to get away from her family.  I had to remind her that her foreigner husband may have some needs to consider.  He plays a lot of online games, so needs a good internet connection.  He has serious health problems, so needs decent medical care nearby.  Where she was talking about has almost no internet, and less medical facilities. 

I am not so concerned about medical care - yet.  But if I don't have good internet I go freaking crazy.  Also, I am a city boy, I quickly get bored in the province. I especially love the vibe of Asian cities, which is a big reason I retired here.  I have less than no desire to live in the middle of nowhere.  Other guys are quite the opposite.

My needs are few, but hard to find in the province:

Reliable & fast internet

Decent groceries. Not a lot of foreigner food, but a nice selection of meats & veggies (I have yet to find good meat at wet markets).

Shopping. I love my malls, and just hanging out in a crowded city.

• Like 5

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Adding my wife needs to mine resulted in 5 primary locations and 2 secondary locations. The later ones are only selected if the real estate in the first 5 locations is skyrocketing (which I do not can believe).

Primary locations:
Davao City (The favorite of us both)
Dumaguete (Not my wife favorite but she does not discard it)
Cagayan de Oro
Ormoc
Mactan Island (probably the least favorite of us both due some areas are not fulfilling the public transport requirements)

Secondary locations (Not desired by wife due language issues (she can not speak Ilonggo))
Iloilo
Bacolod

• 3 months later...
Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

Updates on my location list.

Ormoc and Mactan moved to the secondary list due traffic and public transport issues.

Tagum City added to primary list. Is someone living there?

Davao City divided into 6 sectors:

1. Toril, Puan, Bago, Catalunan, Mintal
2. Matina, Ma-a, Bangkal, Ecoland
3. CBD, Downtown, Bajada, Lanang, Agdao, Obrero
4. Sasa, Buhangin South (from Airport)
5. Buhangin Proper, Buhangin North (from Airport), Cabantian, Tigatto
6. Remaining areas

Toril would be nice with the Eden area but the decent hospitals are too far away and nearly no public transport available  at Eden.

The primary selection looks like a living in sector 3 or 5.

Edited by Dr. Shiva