SSDI and dependents

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Good afternoon everyone I hope some one here can enlighten me on a question I have.

I am currently receiving SSDI here in the states and collecting about $2100 a month for mine and another $1050 for my daughter who is under 18 years old her benefits expire when she graduates in 2018 so My income will drop by that amount. I am hoping to marry my filipina GF sometime next year with me moving there after my daughter graduates in June 2018, so my question is if i was to get my then wife pregnant would that child be eligible to collect SS as my dependent such as my current daughter here does? Or should we have the baby here in the US where no question of citizenship would arise?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. And yes I went to the local office here to no avail after waiting for over 1 1/2 hours at the office and no one could give an answer. Don't get me started on trying the 800# that's even worst. Again Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay.

Absolutely a lot of positive reasons.

I am only 50 years old and unfortunately with my deceased wife(RIP) we were unable to have more kids after our daughter and have always wanted more. So for me it is more about being a father again and really enjoying young children again is a thrill. I think I would be able to afford to raise a family in the Philippines on just my benefits having an extra  50K pisos amonth would allow for extras(ie:private school, vacations or trips back to US). So money is not my motivation in this. Just wanted to cover all my bases if and when that happens.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Thanks OnMyWay.

Absolutely a lot of positive reasons.

I am only 50 years old and unfortunately with my deceased wife(RIP) we were unable to have more kids after our daughter and have always wanted more. So for me it is more about being a father again and really enjoying young children again is a thrill. I think I would be able to afford to raise a family in the Philippines on just my benefits having an extra  50K pisos amonth would allow for extras(ie:private school, vacations or trips back to US). So money is not my motivation in this. Just wanted to cover all my bases if and when that happens.

Great!  You are still a young man!  If your fiance is a typical Filipina, she will want a baby!

• Like 3

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Oh believe me she is definitely not typical at least that is what she shows so far. Time will tell once boots on the ground with her. 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, marine6357 said:

I am currently receiving SSDI here in the states and collecting about $2100 a month for mine and another $1050 for my daughter who is under 18 years old

Do they make 2 separate deposits or combine it into one deposit?

2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The SS payment for the baby would go to the mother

Really? Especially if they are residing together, why wouldn't he get deposits like he is now? Never heard that before and don't understand. Mostly asking because it would add a bank account issue.

Edited by AlwaysRt
corrected auto-correct spelling
  • Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Do they make 2 separate deposits or combine it into one deposit?

Yes 2 deposits into one account and because they are underage they need to have Responsible party on the account as is my case we just do it into my account here in the states. Makes accounting very simple.

Edited by marine6357
typo missing word

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Plan on keeping the account open here and just transfer money monthly. And yes i know that it would be better if I could direct deposit it here but I would feel safer having the money in the US banking system.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

Plan on keeping the account open here and just transfer money monthly. And yes i know that it would be better if I could direct deposit it here but I would feel safer having the money in the US banking system.

You won't be able to do that for a future Philippine born baby.

I think the only one I talked to about the checks going to the mother in the Philippines is Chris49, now deceased.  It maybe different for U.S. residents, but he told me that for kids in the Philippines, they must have a separate account setup with the mother as the custodian.  He had that for his two kids.

If you want to make sure, shoot an e-mail to SS at US Embassy.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You won't be able to do that for a future Philippine born baby.

I think the only one I talked to about the checks going to the mother in the Philippines is Chris49, now deceased.  It maybe different for U.S. residents, but he told me that for kids in the Philippines, they must have a separate account setup with the mother as the custodian.  He had that for his two kids.

If you want to make sure, shoot an e-mail to SS at US Embassy.

I was stepping in asking questions as I have a friend on SS with a 6 month old here I was going to relay information to (and I might need the info in the future, you never know). Not sure where in the CRBA process he is so instead of relaying info to him, once he is done I will come back and relay the info here.

• Like 2