SSDI and dependents

marine6357
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You won't be able to do that for a future Philippine born baby.

I think the only one I talked to about the checks going to the mother in the Philippines is Chris49, now deceased.  It maybe different for U.S. residents, but he told me that for kids in the Philippines, they must have a separate account setup with the mother as the custodian.  He had that for his two kids.

If you want to make sure, shoot an e-mail to SS at US Embassy.

I guess that is why I was thinking of any kids we have, would be best to be delivered in the US instead of PI. After hearing stories of other members and problems with their spouses wife in regards to money I don't want the future misses thinking it is her money and can spend it on her family. This way I would still have control. Sound pretty chauvinistic but that is for our families needs not someone else. Later on I would transfer the account to her if i know for sure she would use it for our kids and herself. We will discuss this with each other When the time is right I'm sure. 

Edited by marine6357
clarification of text
  • Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Not sure where in the CRBA process he is so instead of relaying info to him, once he is done I will come back and relay the info here.

Thanks that would help a lot.

I know I am probably getting way ahead of myself but as they say "Better to be prepared and not need it, then to need it and not be prepared"

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, marine6357 said:

After hearing stories of other members and problems with their spouses wife in regards to money I don't want the future misses thinking it is her money and can spend it on her family. This way I would still have control.

I have an acquaintance named Bob who thought this same way.  He is dying and only has months left.  He went to the US for treatment and his kids back in the US had him committed to a palliative care unit as being mentally unable to make sound decisions.  All of his SS money was sent direct to the palliative care unit and his life partner and 5 year old child who were left behind in the Philippines got NOTHING.  Bob's kids never liked him running off to Philippines and being with a younger girl and starting a new family at his age.

Fortunately the story has a better ending.  Bob is back in Philippines now due to the help of some of his good friends here convincing the "powers that be" that he is better off spending his final days here with his partner and child.  (His kids back home do not seem to give a damn about anything except preserving any inheritance that they may be able to get soon but that is just a personal observation.)  Bob's mind and physical body are rapidly deteriorating but again, well intentioned friends have helped get the social security issue sorted so his 5 year old child will be cared for upon his passing.

Some of the expats living here are remarkably good friends.  Others are trash.  Choose your friends wisely.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some of the expats living here are remarkably good friends.  Others are trash.  Choose your friends wisely.

Ummm... I think I will choose... ummm... don't rush me... ummm... remarkably good friends, final answer!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2017 at 10:21 AM, OnMyWay said:

You won't be able to do that for a future Philippine born baby.

I think the only one I talked to about the checks going to the mother in the Philippines is Chris49, now deceased.  It maybe different for U.S. residents, but he told me that for kids in the Philippines, they must have a separate account setup with the mother as the custodian.  He had that for his two kids.

If you want to make sure, shoot an e-mail to SS at US Embassy.

I was recently at the SSA office at USEM to apply for SSDI dependent benefits.  The SSA has my wife listed as the "Payee" and our 2 yo son as the "Beneficiary".  I understand the child is not allowed access to the account.  My only concern is if my wife dies, how would I gain access my son's funds.  They say, "It's Philippine Law" that the surviving spouse automatically is granted access.  However, I don't have anything in writing that states that.  I would prefer to have a joint account with my wife so either of us can access the funds.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ITGeek said:

I was recently at the SSA office at USEM to apply for SSDI dependent benefits.  The SSA has my wife listed as the "Payee" and our 2 yo son as the "Beneficiary".  I understand the child is not allowed access to the account.  My only concern is if my wife dies, how would I gain access my son's funds.  They say, "It's Philippine Law" that the surviving spouse automatically is granted access.  However, I don't have anything in writing that states that.  I would prefer to have a joint account with my wife so either of us can access the funds.

I think they are very strict about this so you don't have a lot of options.  ATM accounts are not allowed; only passbook.

My bank manager at BPI said I would be able to set up online access to the accounts allowing transfer from the kids BPI dollar accounts to my BPI dollar accounts.  I don't know yet if that is true.

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2018 at 1:46 AM, OnMyWay said:

I think they are very strict about this so you don't have a lot of options.  ATM accounts are not allowed; only passbook.

My bank manager at BPI said I would be able to set up online access to the accounts allowing transfer from the kids BPI dollar accounts to my BPI dollar accounts.  I don't know yet if that is true.

When my wife tried to open the account, the branch manager told her that if she were to become deceased, the money would be held in the account until our son is 18 yo and then he would be able to access it.  This is exactly the reason I wanted access to the account.  So I contacted the SSA Office at USEM and informed them, what happens if my spouse dies, since she is the payee how do I access my son's benefits.  SSA states that children beneficiaries are prohibited from accessing their account.  I was also told that I would have to go to the SSA at USEM and they will provide necessary paperwork for me to become the payee for my son.  I hope it never comes to that, I can just imagine the amount of paperwork and approvals required.

• Like 2