Can you predict weather patterns in your areas over time?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Last year here in our area of Cebu, we had beautiful breezy cool months from November to April.  Before that, May through October had been very hot and long. This past May it was super hot here and June was as well. July came and went with steady rain almost every night, and very few if any of those beautiful butterflies of the previous July appeared. That previous June we had lots of flies, and this June we had none, so that was a good thing. Some days lately have been sunny off and on, but I've not seen as much rain as we've been having lately. It still can be very hot and muggy at times though.

I've thought about making a weather diary at times, but so far here in Cebu the weather seems so unpredictable from one year to the next, it's not something that would give me any reliable patterns or predictions. I was wondering if May and June was the dry season this year or whether the rain will abate and sunny cooler weather will return? Pagasa  predicts 10 to 11 typhoons this rainy season, so I guess rain is in the future for a while.

We've been here three years now, and the weather on average has not repeated itself with any predictability, so I guess that will be normal, of course with the added input from global warming, and living on the coast. I can live with whatever comes along, but hope that a super typhoon like Yolanda in 2013 doesn't repeat itself.

Do any of you folks notice if there are predictable weather patterns in your areas over time?  Temperament wise I feel so much better in cooler weather months, and sometimes feel sluggish or under the weather if it gets too muggy and hot. For those of you who have been here longer, does the weather overall average out over time, and become more predictable in your observation? How conscious of the weather are you, and does it make a difference what the weather forecast is? Maybe weather patterns around the world won't ever be predictable again.

Another thing--the weather I've observed, has been no more routine or predictable than many aspects of my daily life here..

Queenie

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Do any of you folks notice if there are predictable weather patterns in your areas over time?

On a clear blue day I predict it will stay that way for an hour. If cloudy or already raining I might be able to be accurate up to 5 minutes as over an hour it could stop, start, stop, and start again 3 or 4 times. Going out further from weather to climate, it seems the +/- from average is so big that the average is meaningless - unless your asking about snow. Then the answer is nope, don't need your snow shoes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Well all i know is for the past 2 weeks here in Los Banos we knew when it was midday

As it started raining.

Now the little woman tells me its now the start of the rainy season !

Just her excuse to buy another umbrella !

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Four years for us.  My wife grew up here and she tells me that overall there is now less rain during both the wet and dry seasons.  Like you we live on the water and that definitely has a moderating effect on the temperature.  Most days we get a nice breeze, in the wet season it comes in off the water, during the dry season it reverses and blows out to sea.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Living at the base of our local mountain the weather can get a change at any time but if we look up at the Mountain we can usually tell which way the rain will go depending on the Cloud Movement 

I will say that this current Weather pattern is a little unusual in that it is over in 10/15 Mins but Heavy. My wife tells me that we are in for a Storm Soon, Scratching Head.jpg I don't know how she knows that but she is adamant. I will let you know:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

My prediction skills (to weather patterns) are limited to knowing whether or not it's going to rain very soon.

So far, I've been 100% successful with knowing when to bring my umbrella with me during my walks into town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Castaway said:

My prediction skills (to weather patterns) are limited to knowing whether or not it's going to rain very soon.

So far, I've been 100% successful with knowing when to bring my umbrella with me during my walks into town.

Same success rate here...100% certain to rain when i don't bring the brolly, and vice-versa!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Living at the base of our local mountain the weather can get a change at any time but if we look up at the Mountain we can usually tell which way the rain will go depending on the Cloud Movement 

I will say that this current Weather pattern is a little unusual in that it is over in 10/15 Mins but Heavy. My wife tells me that we are in for a Storm Soon, Scratching Head.jpg I don't know how she knows that but she is adamant. I will let you know:whistling:

I have been here 18 months now.When we first arrived there was no grass outside the gate.This year it has not died so even though I don`t know the weather patterns here it seems we have had more rain or maybe more often it has rained than last year.Yep I also look up to the mountain to see which way the clouds are going.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 10/5/2017 at 9:29 AM, Jack Peterson said:

I don't know how she knows that but she is adamant. I will let you know:whistling:

thumbs up from a lady.jpg and she was right! So it is batten down the hatches time, it has gone Black overhead here in Junob and the  Thunder & Lightning is starting Hmmmmmmmmm I wait the text from her "Told you so" :hystery: Just hope the power Holds out :mellow:

• Haha 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

One thing I have definitely noticed is that whenever we plan to go somewhere, by the time we're ready to leave it looks like rain. :huh:

• Like 2