Balikbayan Box Major Rule Changes

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Can we have a link to the news source ?

The PDF was too large to post as a document, but here is the link to the new regulation.

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CMO-04-2017.pdf

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The PDF was too large to post as a document, but here is the link to the new regulation.

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CMO-04-2017.pdf

Thanks Mike, I got a headache trying to read all 22 pages.  Looks like more justification to impose customs tax to bring up revenue for corrupt officials.  Possibly a heads up for serious contribution for the "anointed one" in the next major national election.

I'm sure there will be some Filipino ingenuity to figure out the loop holes but everything will be filled out in triplicates times two.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

Having said that no way in heck are we going to have a Box company have a copy of my or her passport. We also are not going to provide a shopping list for theft.

You know, I really don't see anything to onerous about this. First of all, most if not all of us, have commented in the past how the Philippines is like the wild west at times. As for giving out our info? I can not speak for everyone else, but I know we have given copies or shown our passports so the info can be recorded: to open bank accounts, set up our internet and telephone, turned on our water and electricity, documented marriages, births and deaths ad infinitum. Our info is out there already, one more out fit with it isn't gonna stop me from sending BB boxes back to the Philippines with stuff I cant get anyplace else.:SugarwareZ-047:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Can we have a link to the news source ? 

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/pinoyabroad/618909/still-no-manual-inspection-of-balikbayan-boxes-says-boc-chief/story/

Still no manual inspection of balikbayan boxes, says BOC chief

Published July 21, 2017 3:31pm
Manual inspection of balikbayan boxes will still not be allowed under the impending memorandum order of the Bureau of Customs (BOC), Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon said Friday, allaying fears of OFWs.

"Hindi po binubulatlat ang balikbayan box. Pagdating po niyan dito, sa X-ray lang 'yan dadaan. Pag walang nakitang kontrabando, drugs o kung anuman, walang bubuksan," Faeldon said in an interview on radio DZBB.

He added: "Iho-hold lang 'yung box mo kung nakakita na tayo ng baril o drugs. Yun lang ang hino-hold."

The BOC's no-touch policy on balikbayan boxes was reaffirmed to allay fears of OFWs following the scheduled implementation of Customs Memorandum Order 04-2017 on August 1. The order states that balikbayan boxes will be inspected for suspicious items.

Faeldon said balikbayan boxes will still undergo X-ray scanning and will only be opened in case suspicious items are detected after scanning.

Faeldon said CMO 04-2017 merely provided guidelines to implement laws passed by Congress to curb smuggling and that the BOC has no power to pass laws by itself.

"Hindi ko po yun batas. Ito po ay CMTA, Customs Modernization and Tarrif Act. Batas po yan na ginawa ng ating kongreso na napakagandang batas po nito," Faeldon said.

"Itong bagong Customs Memorandum Order ay patungkol po ito sa local consolidators to guide them kung paano nila gagawin," he added. "Titingnan mo yung wisdom ng batas, ito yung gustong mangyari nun. Para matiyak natin na itong mga balikbayan boxes ay hindi magagamit para abusuhin."

The customs commissioner also reprimanded some freight forwarders claiming the new memorandum order will add 15 to 20 days to the delivery time of balikbayan boxes.

"Be more responsible in disseminating information that affects our countrymen," he told them. —Rie Takumi/KBK/KVD, GMA News

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Their just cracking down on illegal contraband coming into the country, it's a world wide movement. We've all asked for stability in law and order, this is just a catch up. All countries have the authority to open parcels except PI, as for passport documentation, if you send parcel's overseas in Australia, you need proof of who you are before sending.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some people talk about how this is somehow a corrupt politician money grab. In reality I would not be surprised if 90% of the packages sent are an abuse of the system to avoid import fees. Losing the ability to illegally smuggle items into the county then calling the politicians corrupt seems a bit of creative thinking.

Edited by AlwaysRt
I would like to specify this a general comment Not directed at anyone in particular.
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

In reality I would not be surprised if 90% of the packages sent are an abuse of the system to avoid import fees.

Which reminds me, did the batteries we are buying come in a balikbayan box? :SugarwareZ-005::SugarwareZ-005: Just wondering how we got them so cheap.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Which reminds me, did the batteries we are buying come in a balikbayan box? :SugarwareZ-005::SugarwareZ-005: Just wondering how we got them so cheap.

Nope, he doesn't know how to do maths. Someone asked the price in USD and the answer was $462. I thought about asking if he had USD he wanted to convert. I would take all I could at p6500 for $462 (who wouldn't?)

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

If they applied the existing rules you would only be able to send 2 boxes per year with a value of $500.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

If they applied the existing rules you would only be able to send 2 boxes per year with a value of $500.

More likely if they applied the existing rules you would not be able to send any boxes at all.

• Like 2