Balikbayan Box Major Rule Changes

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Same as Jake, too early to look at the entire docuement.

We just sent two boxes from here in Dubai with Makati Express, same price as always, same paper work as always, no mention of nationality etc of sender and receiver.............just saying.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted

Well the new Balikbayan Shipping Rules take effect today and I was searching for any new information.  Overall I think it is a good idea, but, like any rules here, there seems too many areas that could be hard to enforce or easy to bypass, however you choose to define it.  One thing I was wondering which I could not locate in the rule, or may have just missed, is charitable donations that were in the past sent by BB.  Are the senders now required to pay duty and taxes on the items sent? Sure you could have a family member send and receive I guess.  The subject has gotten a little quiet in recent weeks but I was able to find one article that in part quotes the BOC Commissioner:

What you need to know:

Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon of the Bureau of Customs also posted the following clarifications on Facebook:

1. Senders of balikbayan boxes don’t need to fill out an information sheet declaring all the contents in the box or produce a receipt, if they are willing to pay duties and taxes for the goods being shipped.

2. Contents in balikbayan boxes are exempt from taxes provided they don’t exceed more than P150,000 in total value.

3. Declaration of goods is important because it is for the “protection” of the sender, to ensure that the parcel gets delivered.

4. Receipts are not required for used items, groceries, “gifts” and other goods worth less than P10,000.

5. When filling out the declaration form or “information sheet,” there’s no need to be very precise with the costs. Estimates are fine. For example, if the t-shirt included in the box was originally purchased for P500 and has already been used, the sender can declare the price as P100.

6. Receipts are required for items that are brand new and worth more than P10,000 each.

Full article;  http://gulfnews.com/business/sectors/government/new-rules-for-filipino-expats-balikbayan-boxes-to-take-effect-1.2062849

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, intrepid said:

What you need to know:

When it arrives and what shape it is In :whistling:

Just saying:smile:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon of the Bureau of Customs also posted the following clarifications on Facebook:

1. Senders of balikbayan boxes don’t need to fill out an information sheet declaring all the contents in the box or produce a receipt, if they are willing to pay duties and taxes for the goods being shipped.

2. Contents in balikbayan boxes are exempt from taxes provided they don’t exceed more than P150,000 in total value.

3. Declaration of goods is important because it is for the “protection” of the sender, to ensure that the parcel gets delivered.

4. Receipts are not required for used items, groceries, “gifts” and other goods worth less than P10,000.

5. When filling out the declaration form or “information sheet,” there’s no need to be very precise with the costs. Estimates are fine. For example, if the t-shirt included in the box was originally purchased for P500 and has already been used, the sender can declare the price as P100.

6. Receipts are required for items that are brand new and worth more than P10,000 each.

That makes things a little easier.

Maybe I won't have to befriend a Chinese drug lord and ship my bottle of whiskey in his container of shabu... :whistling:

Edited by JDDavao
unclear prose
  • Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Only just read this Posting......sitting behind me is a load of clothes both new and second hand to be boxed, intended for arrival at Christmas.

I'm now thinking the cost of purchase plus cost of shipping, it might well of been easier to have just given money envelopes on arrival! :rolleyes:

I've tried convincing my little wife before, to no avail:  (Anybody want three large boxes of goods, collection only)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kuya John said:

it might well of been easier to have just given money envelopes on arrival

Easier, but not better.  Its easier to give cash at Christmas but where's the fun in that?  Don't let the bastards get you down!  Send that BB box as planned :morning1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2017 at 6:54 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Yes and it has been clarified that on their US passport it quite clearly states Place of Birth  ie; PHILIPPINES Proof enough I think EH?

Dave, on your Canadian passport what does it say about Place of Birth?

It says 'Unknown'

• Haha 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Our boxes are on the high seas at the moment.  I did make sure SO was sender and recipient for the very reasons above. Just did very short general listing of contents.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Kyra John, parcels from over seas have more face clout than money, ( just make sure you remove Made in China labels ). The children that are staying with us have to return home at the end of the year, they have been doing the rounds of charity stores buying second hand books, big medicine for them, We just shipped them Monday and had no trouble, itemize them as second hand cloths and second hand books. Before packing, take price tags off and iron out any store package wrinkles, I know this will take the shine of a new present, but better than being confiscated, send a letter explaining the reason to the family.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Before packing, take price tags off and iron out any store package wrinkles, I know this will take the shine of a new present, but better than being confiscated

I did read that the new rules do not allow customs officers to open the BB boxes unless something shows up in an Xray.  So I think, if it was me, I'd leave the "newness" and take a chance.  I may even wrap them like Christmas gifts so that if the box is checked then they are less likely to open the kids Xmas gifts AND it gives an added boost when they have to unwrap at the other end.  But thats just my opinion.

• Like 3