Five (or Ten) Year Plan

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, ponching1986 said:

It is very hard to land a good job if you are a graduate from 3rd world like Philippines.

I agree 100%. Filipinas come to Canada as caregivers then after 3 years, they get citizenship. Then they go to nursing or personal support worker college as a Canadian. International student's tuition is 3 times that of a Canadian.

I know some other Filipinos that came with degrees but worked on the floor in factories.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I agree 100%. Filipinas come to Canada as caregivers then after 3 years, they get citizenship. Then they go to nursing or personal support worker college as a Canadian. International student's tuition is 3 times that of a Canadian.

I know some other Filipinos that came with degrees but worked on the floor in factories.

Perhaps that last para. says more about the standard of education here in the Philippines than it does about Canadian employers? Education here is like everything - a business - and that might result in a lot of "University" graduates from less than credible "Universities" with less than credible "Degrees."  I'm just basing this rather harsh opinion on many I've met who seem sadly lacking in the area of education for supposed graduates.

Edited by hk blues
Spelling - that'll teach me to talk about poor education!
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Perhaps that last para. says more about the standard of education here in the Philippines than it does about Canadian employers? Education here is like everything - a business - and that might result in a lot of "University" graduates from less than credible "Universities" with less than credible "Degrees."  I'm just basing this rather harsh opinion on many I've met who seem sadly lacking in the area of education for supposed graduates.

Sadly it's getting the same in the UK. When my son graduated he was telling me 40% was a pass.

Another good friend is a lecturer in one of the more prestigious universities in Scotland and he was telling me it's almost impossible to fail the students as they put a redress in and always win. Whether it's because it was the time of the month, they'd been stressed as they'd split up from their partner or they thought the lesson wasn't well taught. He hates teaching some of them but he's no choice. The university is run by left wing libtards. 

• Like 3

Reedster
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, ponching1986 said:

After so many failed attempts in 1 year, I finally decided to enlist in the US Navy. I stayed for 20 years and 8 days and retired as CPO (E7). After the Navy, I work (still working) for the City/Town as director of purchasing. 

Thanks for your service to the US, and thanks for the advice.  

I understand your point about universities abroad that are frequently underrated in the US, and the US-centric view of the world by many people in HR departments.  This valuable advice, and I appreciate it.

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Reedstar,  Welcome!  I too am a Die Hard SEAHAWKS Fan...GO HAWKS!..Glad to know there are others on here.  Having lived a large part of my adult life in greater Seattle area since first moved there From Philippines job in '92, when Hawks sucked, but  Huskies were national champs under the DAWG FATHER Don James, I became an "adopted" Huskies fan of sorts, even though grew up in NC and went to UNC...well before NFL was there.  Absolutely love the PacNW and I know a few forum members live there now.  I listen to KIRO's ESPN Seattle 710 podcasts every morning here on my iPhone for my fix, and will do same in PI; so, another plus for you.  

Anyway, to answer some of your questions...NFL? ... Yes! ...you can subscribe to "Game Pass on NFL's site at very affordable price (about same as DirecTV "Sunday Ticket") and watch Any NFL game Live and Replay on demand as you like....just need a good internet connection, which Some places in PI do have. If one has the program in US, one has to wait until after the live broadcast to watch a game on the site.  Replays are commercial free.  You also get NFL Network streaming live.   I watched all Hawks games last yr from here in Japan, and if you get up and watch live, you can  try to synch the radio broadcast (also part of the program) to the video.   Another option is something a guy I know in Sorsogon has, which is "G-sat" and he gets great reception that includes something named "Sports Illustrated Channel" that shows lot of NFL and all other sports. I watched live NFL playoff games with him there last January, no problem, no delay.    As for Huskies games, I'm pretty sure that Pac12 Network went to internet last year and you can buy that and get Huskies games, I Think.  ESPN also has paid content, But if you share a cable or satellite service with a relative back home, you can use that subscriber info to watch a lot of sports/games live via internet.  I have several friends here who do that....just have to enter the account info when asked to on sites like CBS Sports and ESPN.   Also, if you are M's or other fan for MLB, the MLB site has same thing NFL has for watching games via internet on paid service. 

That all said, Like you, I'm often torn between our plan to move to PI later this yr or first half 2018, vs go back to PacNW, although I'm less tolerant of those long, dark & wet winters in Western WA.  We Could "afford" to live back there, and may eventually for schooling (have a near 3 yr old son now), but we are committed for now to move to PI for 5 yrs and bank as much as we can so that we can then  pay for a house if/when we move back to US and be set, or remain in "paradise" and the sun.   My pension will be maxed out and retained by me after 35 yrs, but the Ex got 80% of the 401k And the house from 2010 divorce; so, we need save a little more to be worry free later, and PI seems great place to do that as long as the we don't let any $$ vampires suck us dry, and we want to travel Asia some, while I also want to get fully back into diving with so much free time available.    Like OnMyWay said, if you can Afford to live in US worry free, and from all you said, then I'd opt for that and just have long visits here, but in the end, you all have to make your own decisions.   

If you Do move to PI, I hope to watch some Seahawks and Huskies games with you!