Foreign national shot dead in Naval, Biliran

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, robert k said:

Not only that, they think just because it's tolerated when a local does it, they have the same privilege. Not a safe assumption.

Not an intelligent assumption either

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But and always a but, was the fiance involved as she has something to gain as the land can not be in his name.

From the article Dave posted above from stuff.co.nz paper, the property was in the ex girlfriend's name, not the current fiance. He might have had a Special Power of Attorney from her for the property and she would have something to gain.

"It is understood the title to the property he owned is under an ex-girlfriend's name.

Florida, who was his current partner of three years, said she was shocked and upset when she heard about his death."

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

Not only that, they think just because it's tolerated when a local does it, they have the same privilege. Not a safe assumption.

Lets be fair we should all know by now we have no rights here.RIP

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

To dove tail from the other topic about what our Dad said. The squeaky wheel does not always get the grease, sometimes it gets REPLACED. 

I hate to say it but by the way I read it, this cat was asking for trouble of some sort, and we all know the extremes that some go to here. First of all, he mentioned his "fiancé" owning the property. That tells me he was on a tourist visa, there for not even a legal resident, but just a "visitor" with only a visitors rights. 

If he has lived here that long, and not heard the all the stories about violence and property disputes, then he is just plain ignorant and should have stayed in New Zealand. If he knew of the stories and persisted in agitating against those in power (and they DO have all the power) even going so far as to claim his rights under the Geneva Convention and international law in country where the Pres tells the Pope and the Pres of the USA to go F themselves. Well that's just plain stupid.

Am I am sorry he got wacked? Sure its to bad, but I feel sorry for those who drive their cars into trees while drunk also, but it is still their own damn fault. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, scott h said:

If he has lived here that long, and not heard the all the stories about violence and property disputes, then he is just plain ignorant and should have stayed in New Zealand.

The population of the entire island in 2010 was 161,000 and there was two other foreigners, one was a former marine,  murdered there recently so, yes,  he must have heard about the hostile environment to foreigners.

"In June, 2016, a 74 year-old Dutch businessman was shot accompanied by his 11-year-old son who was also wounded but survived.

In March, 2017, a former US marine was shot dead at the highway of Bato, Biliran, Biliran." -

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jpbago said:

The population of the entire island in 2010 was 161,000

Remember we are talking about Maripipi, not Biliran Island.  Maripipi is to Biliran as Camotes is to Cebu.  Part of the "province" but not part of the island.

For Maripipi

The population was 7,159 at the 2015 census. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 4,764 registered voters

So everyone knows everyone's business there.   This is what has me thinking the murder may not be related to his dispute with the locals on Maripipi.  He could disappear quite quickly and quietly on a small island like that rather than being "taken out in style" on the main street of Naval.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So everyone knows everyone's business there.   This is what has me thinking the murder may not be related to his dispute with the locals on Maripipi.  He could disappear quite quickly and quietly on a small island like that rather than being "taken out in style" on the main street of Naval.

Yes, I agree it was rather bold to do it that way in public view and cctvs. It might have been a statement to other foreigners.

As an armchair detective after watching many crime investigation type shows, I would look for the motive. I would rule out Florida, the current g/f fiance as she has nothing to gain, nor did she run away. The ex g/f whose holds the title would be suspect as would her current b/f and family/parents. It was a large lot so must have been worth plenty.

PS: I am bored and stuck in the house with what looks like an all day pisser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jpbago said:

It was a large lot so must have been worth plenty.

Even if worth little, ex-filipina-gfs have a huge jealousy streak so if she had signed a SPOA on the land then she would get quite hissy over the man marrying another girl, knowing that her ex would sign over the land to the "new wife" so the ex is highly suspect if she signed a SPOA that is invalid with his death.  She just got her land back'

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Even if worth little, ex-filipina-gfs have a huge jealousy streak so if she had signed a SPOA on the land then she would get quite hissy over the man marrying another girl, knowing that her ex would sign over the land to the "new wife" so the ex is highly suspect if she signed a SPOA that is invalid with his death.  She just got her land back'

One of my Filipina friends once had a Foreigner boyfriend. He bought land in Palawan and from what I understand the selling party were to put it in her name. But recently the seller contacted her to say that the ex revoked that and it's still in the sellers name. But he is uncontactable and there is unpaid tax so the seller said that if he does not contact them soon she will transfer the land to her. Because he is and has been an ass I told her to sell it because he wont do other things which he promised to do to sort out a business they own which leaves her with constant problems so stuff him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
soupeod
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2017 at 9:36 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You seem to be familiar with Biliran Island and yet your residence says Washington State.  Is your name Rod?  Just wondering if you are someone I know.

No, but my Asawa is from there.  thanks Dave.