Foreign national shot dead in Naval, Biliran

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

Moreover, not going to piss of anyone in authority, down to the lowest Brgy Captain.

But don't call him the lowest Brgy Captain.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

When I can find the story I will post it. It was over Land and this is the number 1 reason for Murder

The article said "The victim was identified as Simon Rawlinson from New Zealand, 63 years old, and is presently residing at Barangay Bato in Maripipi, Biliran." 

I don't know the man but I know friends who do.  If the address was a mistake and he was residing at Barangay Bato in Biliran.  Then that is the same place that Gene Abrams was living and there are a lot of land disputes and at least one foreigner has abandoned his property in that area as he values his life above the multi million peso house he built.

EDIT:  Found the news story 

A Hamilton man shot dead in the Philippines was warned by friends to get out of the country.

It has also emerged that Simon Rawlinson was embroiled in legal struggles with local authorities over access rights to his waterfront land on Maripipi Island.

Sources say a group of locals were working to have Rawlinson kicked out of the Philippines based on the argument he was a "persona non grata" or unwelcome person.

more at https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/95223022/friends-told-kiwi-killed-in-philippines-to-come-home

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The article said "The victim was identified as Simon Rawlinson from New Zealand, 63 years old, and is presently residing at Barangay Bato in Maripipi, Biliran." 

This if allowed is what i was sent;

http://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2017/07/29/legal-letter-reveals-murdered-new-zealanders-bitter-feud-with-council/

Sorry is it is not allowed But :571c66d400c8c_1(103):it goes say way to explain

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Nothing like getting on with your neighbours. I feel sorry for the guy as I'm sure he was complying with the laws of the land but sadly not the laws of the jungle.

I'd be interested in how he owned the land if he had a fiance. Surely it was her land. 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From my reading the guy was acting or expecting the laws or the way things are done is the same as in the home country. Big mistake and I'm sure there is a hell of alot more that we will never know but to go to the point of really getting up the nose of everyone cost him his life whether right or wrong from the Filipino side of this story. yes we do not know who killed him or why but most likely all connected.  But and always a but, was the fiance involved as she has something to gain as the land can not be in his name.

More speculation ! 

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Nothing like getting on with your neighbours. I feel sorry for the guy as I'm sure he was complying with the laws of the land but sadly not the laws of the jungle.

Yet again an example of what rights you think you may have, mean nothing.

Simon rawlinson rest in peace

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Whilst it can come across as a dream to own land in the Phils , it appears that it is more of a nightmare than a dream . Will there be a point when expats start leaving in their droves ? ,i have no intention of trying to own land or a house in the Phils ,ill be happy to rent and retain ownership of a house in the UK  ,live off the rent and party in the phils

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From my reading the guy was acting or expecting the laws or the way things are done is the same as in the home country.

I am continuously amazed at the number of people that refuse to understand they are not a traveling Embassy with the same rights and under the laws of their home country. If that wasn't wrong enough, they then act like locals they deal with in another country should also follow their delusion and ignore the laws and culture of the actual country they are in. (applies to expats everywhere, not just here in the Philippines)

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Seen the pictures on SBS PI news and apparently they have the three blokes, 2 on the bike 1 spotter within the hour. They caught one of the blokes rifling through his unit.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am continuously amazed at the number of people that refuse to understand they are not a traveling Embassy with the same rights and under the laws of their home country. If that wasn't wrong enough, they then act like locals they deal with in another country should also follow their delusion and ignore the laws and culture of the actual country they are in. (applies to expats everywhere, not just here in the Philippines)

Not only that, they think just because it's tolerated when a local does it, they have the same privilege. Not a safe assumption.

• Like 3