Cooking issues that maybe there is a solution to ?

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I can get pigs kidneys at the main market in town.If I want meat to be tender enough for a stew I cook it in the pressure cooker first then use the juice as a base stock.When I cannot get fresh herbs I will use dried.

Yeah, now that I think about it I've seen the pig kidney at Ayala in the Metro, they might even have some goat guts. That place is great. In the March/April they sell Uni, sea urchin roe in recycled Tanduay and such pint bottles LOL, cheap too I think 100 or maybe less.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, bang4dabuck said:

Going to make some CHILI this week, American style so with both beans and beef. Got a hold of some dried red kidney beans. I use that crema that comes in a small carton for sour cream, just add some calamansi juice. Just got to make sure beans get tender which is sometimes hard here.

I was so happy back a couple of weeks ago, to find La Victoria salsa verde in the Gmall. I grabbed two bottles of it.

When I was single, I used to make a chili with a bottle of that and several cans of drained beans. I got a dinner and two lunches out of a batch.

My MIL made it twice, once with meat and once without like I used to make it. It was so darn good!

Went back this week to get some more... No stock, sir. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have noticed extremes of attitude among old foreigners, even those who come from the same country.  Two expats I know each come from the same country and now live in Dumaguete.  One can find no wrong in any restaurant or any food he ever talks about.  The other can find no good in any of it.  Neither are to be believed, for apparent reasons, and both think they are doing the world a favor by saying how good or bad certain foods or restaurants are.

Living in Seattle exposed me to many different foods. I was eating Filipino food way before there was a Filipina in my life. Having a wife that can cook has also taught me what good Filipino food is. I'm lucky, I guess.

What I can't understand are those who move here with a professed disdain for Filipino food. My wife has a friend whose husband is like that. I have no idea what he eats.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Living in Seattle exposed me to many different foods. I was eating Filipino food way before there was a Filipina in my life. Having a wife that can cook has also taught me what good Filipino food is. I'm lucky, I guess.

What I can't understand are those who move here with a professed disdain for Filipino food. My wife has a friend whose husband is like that. I have no idea what he eats.

Some people don`t like how they cook the food with either too much salt or sugar and sometimes served cold.Some eateries have no real sanitation.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

My wife is a good cook, but when I first met her she would only buy little packets of herbs & spices. I understand pesos are tight to some, but it irked me to pay half the price for a little sachel 10 g to the  full jar 200 g. I would always put the little satchels back and buy the big ones. Doing shopping here in Oz she still searches for little satchels of herbs, old habits never die. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Clermont said:

My wife is a good cook, but when I first met her she would only buy little packets of herbs & spices. I understand pesos are tight to some, but it irked me to pay half the price for a little sachel 10 g to the  full jar 200 g. I would always put the little satchels back and buy the big ones. Doing shopping here in Oz she still searches for little satchels of herbs, old habits never die. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I'm with you but Spices go bad here much faster, very high humidity. Never shake your spices over a boiling pot, additional humidity. Also garlic powder turns into a rock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
On August 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM, JDDavao said:

I was so happy back a couple of weeks ago, to find La Victoria salsa verde in the Gmall. I grabbed two bottles of it.

When I was single, I used to make a chili with a bottle of that and several cans of drained beans. I got a dinner and two lunches out of a batch.

My MIL made it twice, once with meat and once without like I used to make it. It was so darn good!

Went back this week to get some more... No stock, sir. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

So was it a red chili or brown ?  I like mine red and sweet so lots of tomato paste. I espada and jalapeño peppers, oregano, garlic, onions, cumin, chili powder and going to use some Belgian (?) ground beef I found yesterday at Robinsons, lean and only 234 php kg. Might add some chipotle powder but not sure, probably which I found at Landers. Good because the Spanish smoked paprika I brought here went bad from the humidity, shame.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

We only eat at home in PI so plenty of herbs and spices used + we transfer to jars to keep the humidity out, as I said, wife very tight with the peso, if they can make pesos out of selling food she can save it cooking is her argument. Never won an argument with her yet. :bash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Clermont said:

We only eat at home in PI so plenty of herbs and spices used + we transfer to jars to keep the humidity out, as I said, wife very tight with the peso, if they can make pesos out of selling food she can save it cooking is her argument. Never won an argument with her yet. :bash:

Yeah, homemade is best especially Filipino food. Carranderia food they got to use less than quality ingredients to deliver at a reasonable price and that is pretty low here. 

Mungus is another good Filipino dish, mung beans, coconut milk and squash. You can make a decent split pea soup with the mung beans and bacon, just need to food process about half the beans after cooked, I use a blender.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bang4dabuck said:

So was it a red chili or brown ?  I like mine red and sweet so lots of tomato paste. I espada and jalapeño peppers, oregano, garlic, onions, cumin, chili powder and going to use some Belgian (?) ground beef I found yesterday at Robinsons, lean and only 234 php kg. Might add some chipotle powder but not sure, probably which I found at Landers. Good because the Spanish smoked paprika I brought here went bad from the humidity, shame.

It was green. Just the salsa verde and beans. Vegetarian, if you will. It was cheap, nutritious and tasty and I was single.

I used to make red chili with meat and beans, too. I went light on the chili powder but used to use a Mexican hot sauce I only recently found available here: Cholula. And shredded cheddar on top.

• Like 1