Cooking issues that maybe there is a solution to ?

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Fresh is best for sure but I hav plenty of dried herbs around oregano, dill weed, Rosemary, bay leaf but I won't touch dried basil. That is unusable to me but my fathers Italiano so I would grow it if I had to but fortunately for me I can find it at the supermarkets from time to time. As I mentioned previously I just rinse, get rid of the big stems and florets, bag very tightly and freeze. Just cut off a chunk when needed and put the rest back in the freezer. I do the same with parsley, celery leaves and I'm trying it with cilantro. I bought a holy basil plant over at Park mall last year and it is proliferating quite well, it's almost a tree and throwing off plants all over my yard. Too bad my sweet basil and Thai basil didn't do that.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I dry my own herbs in the sun then just crunch them up and put them into containers.

I used to dry my own herb in the sun but I just put it in baggies.

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I used to dry my own herb in the sun but I just put it in baggies.

Should have frozen it.

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Got 2 more to try, ARTISANS BARAKO GOLD ground and in a real coffe bag with the ventilation. 356 php from Robinsons.  Looks to be a little more than a month since roasting using my theory. Also picked up a 400 gm vacuum sealed can of CAFE PURO JADE BLEND.for 188 php at Landers. I'll let you know. 

Went into Bo's and they wanted 300 for 250gm of Espresso beans roasted in December, no thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Those 2 coffees didn't seem old tasting and noticed no Robusta in either but still they were nondescript in flavor. If that's OK with you the PURO JADE is a better deal. I went back to an old favorite of mine, Kirkland Columbian dark roast fine grind 750 php for 3 pounds or 1.35 kg at S&R . So cheaper than the Artisans and a little more than the PURO. This is all until I get a new grinder, my old grinder seems unfixable. The gearing is messed up and they don't sell the parts any more. Looking at EBay in the US because they way overcharge here, don't want to reward bad behavior. Planning to use LBC SHIPPINGCART.COM, seems pretty reasonable and no taxes and to your door.

https://www.shippingcart.com/estimate-shipping.  

So I'm thinking 1,000 - 2,000 php, still better than paying double.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Bang4dabuck--I've seen some electric coffee grinders at SM and other Cebu department stores in around the 2000P range. Can't vouch for the brands though.. From experience, weight and size of box can add up money wise with shippers. Just a thought.

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
On September 22, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Queenie O. said:

Bang4dabuck--I've seen some electric coffee grinders at SM and other Cebu department stores in around the 2000P range. Can't vouch for the brands though.. From experience, weight and size of box can add up money wise with shippers. Just a thought.

Yeah, I must have looked at those shipping rates wrong, the boat rate (45 days) instead of air (10 days) double the price and about what I was going to pay for the grinder itself, actually more. Feel defenseless LOL.

Burr grinder is what I need for espresso and is best for all coffees, you don't want blades.

Cant win them all. I'll probably compromise and go the slow boat to Cebu route.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
allancomeau
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2017 at 12:51 PM, sonjack2847 said:

You can get meat tenderiser in a packet for 16 peso it also seems to flavour the meat but just don`t use too much.

That's likely to be MSG. You can also marinate in pineapple juice or papaya - both have enzymes that tenderize meat.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, allancomeau said:

That's likely to be MSG. You can also marinate in pineapple juice or papaya - both have enzymes that tenderize meat.

Surely that makes it sweet .Most things they warn you about are ok in moderation.

Edited by sonjack2847
spelling