Cooking issues that maybe there is a solution to ?

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I think my wife's mother uses a pressure cooker for her beef shank soup. It's always very tender. And if you find some nice shanks, you get beautiful marrow like what I had the other night: 

shank01.jpg

Mmmmmmm MARRRRRRROW !!!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, bang4dabuck said:

Ok, I drive by Hyper a few times a month. Any idea the brand name on those frozen peas ? You would think they also would be sold at a regular SM like Seaside which is far more convenient to me. To me peas are suppose to be sweet and tender but that's what I'm use to.

I seem to remember them being their brand in a yellow packet,it was 5 years ago.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, bang4dabuck said:

Corn - those mini corns are great but regular corn is tough. Good enough to cook in a soup though.

Bread - I am good with Robinsons baguette which is that of the quality I get back at Giant Supermarket back home. Great with cheese, roasted peppers, eat with my Italian stuff and can't forget my smoked Bangus, cream cheese, sliced tomato and onion sandwiches. Pan de Manila is excellent, cheap hot pandesol. I want to try making Portuguese pork loin sandwiches ( thin sliced marinated in white wine and garlic, browned in a hot pan ) with but the butchering here is just that.  

BELL PEPPERS - the skin :( , roasted as I described I'm back in the old country ... REALLY !

Me too on the sausages. Bacon is good here, honey cured .

CHIPs - I'm cheap so I won't pay triple for US. I gave you pretty much their equivalents. Besides I prefer UTZ . LOL. Ding Dong and Nova are good too.

CAULI /BROC  I sometimes find it cheap like US prices at SM, Shopwise and Metro ( never Robinsons $$$ LOL ) otherwise I do without.

If you use SR they used to do kilo bags of frozen veg Broc was one of them.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bang4dabuck said:

SEAL ? I usually brown with garlic, onion and ginger. Do you mean flour coat ? Yeah I do just add cold water so I hear you, I will try. 

GOAT - I've only had at carranderia but wanted to try. So a roast leg is a no go ? Tough ?

OFFAL -  I see, tripe, tongue ( expen$$$$I've !!! ), pork liver, chicken liver and gizzards. Where are the beef kidneys and the goat guts ? All the Baluts but no duck ??? I got to say one of my best eating experiences I've had was at Spiral Buffet not too far from MOA. They have a great, GREAT cheese room with over 100 different cheeses, French oysters on the half ( sweeeet !!! ) and foie gras. Needless to say, I killed it. MetroDeal has promos often for them and still expensive by Filipino standards but so, so cheap compared to what that would run back home.

Yes, dredge in seasoned flour and fry off, then fry off my aforementioned trinity, if celery available, if not then whole baby shallots and carrot, red wine, reduce by a third then stock to boiling then re add meat. This is for a rich beef stew, I like to add red currant jelly near the end but can't find it so use tomato paste with a splash of cider vinegar to give that richness of flavour.

Goat, I have only ever stewed or curried so not sure how a roast might turn out, slowly might be best idea.

With you on offal, I like pigs kidneys but all the restaurants take all the offal first. My partner's uncle has a pork stall and I can't even get them through him....damn!!

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Going to make some CHILI this week, American style so with both beans and beef. Got a hold of some dried red kidney beans. I use that crema that comes in a small carton for sour cream, just add some calamansi juice. Just got to make sure beans get tender which is sometimes hard here.

Tomorrow sinigang with pata, eggplant, okra, green onions, lemongrass and of course cabbage, can't wait.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Moral of the story is that we are all used to the food and tastes from wherever we came from. Same goes for when a group of different nationalities talk about the perfect burger, no one can win because it is the taste you have become accustomed to over many years. 

True some quality issues here but the local culture dont seemed to mind and once again its what you are used too. :SugarwareZ-047:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

There is a pandasol baker across from the Bauang markets and they are beautiful.  They line up for them.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

we are all used to the food and tastes from wherever we came from.

I have noticed extremes of attitude among old foreigners, even those who come from the same country.  Two expats I know each come from the same country and now live in Dumaguete.  One can find no wrong in any restaurant or any food he ever talks about.  The other can find no good in any of it.  Neither are to be believed, for apparent reasons, and both think they are doing the world a favor by saying how good or bad certain foods or restaurants are.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, virginprune said:

Yes, dredge in seasoned flour and fry off, then fry off my aforementioned trinity, if celery available, if not then whole baby shallots and carrot, red wine, reduce by a third then stock to boiling then re add meat. This is for a rich beef stew, I like to add red currant jelly near the end but can't find it so use tomato paste with a splash of cider vinegar to give that richness of flavour.

Goat, I have only ever stewed or curried so not sure how a roast might turn out, slowly might be best idea.

With you on offal, I like pigs kidneys but all the restaurants take all the offal first. My partner's uncle has a pork stall and I can't even get them through him....damn!!

I can get pigs kidneys at the main market in town.If I want meat to be tender enough for a stew I cook it in the pressure cooker first then use the juice as a base stock.When I cannot get fresh herbs I will use dried.

• Like 2

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I can get pigs kidneys at the main market in town.If I want meat to be tender enough for a stew I cook it in the pressure cooker first then use the juice as a base stock.When I cannot get fresh herbs I will use dried.

Ok, beef shank got 2 more chances but after that I'm done LOL

• Like 1