New car for 17 months still no Registration plate

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

We just went to multiple car dealerships this week and in the end did order a car. Each salesman told us without hesitation to expect a year+ before we got the plates. So seems to me this is well known by everyone and little cause for me to worry.

OTOH if I'm at a restaurant and the San Miguel arrives warm - then I have a problem!

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2017 at 7:24 AM, mogo51 said:

Was going to buy a bike also but after watching the antics of my newly  hosts on the road, am having 2nd thoughts

Mogo, I was so happy to read that you are having second thoughts.  It's much better to be looking at the green grass instead of roots.  In my area I don't think I have gone more than three days without seeing a motorcycle accidents in the 15 months living here.  Several deaths, some very serious injuries including loss of limbs and many other other who get up and take a rest before going again.  I'm sure you have noticed by now there is very little enforcement of traffic laws.  Cycles are more prone to being spot checked for ownership and registration.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes I hear you Intrepid.

Lobstered
Posted
Posted

I just brought a new car. It came with its registration number on temporary plates prepared by the dealer. With the dealer saying that I should not expect the actual plates anytime in the next couple of years but that it really makes no difference these are the official temporary plates and therefore legal.

The really mind numbingly stupid part of all of this is, that the LTO issue the registration number, they have also issued parameters of what must go on the temporary license plate and what font size extra each bit of information has to be. So why not just say this is the official license plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Lobstered said:

So why not just say this is the official license plate.

Scratching Head.jpg Too easy, gotta make things hard to keep many in work:whistling: 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lobstered said:

I just brought a new car. It came with its registration number on temporary plates prepared by the dealer. With the dealer saying that I should not expect the actual plates anytime in the next couple of years

It gets worse.  I had temporary plates on my motorcycle when I went to do my annual registration.  The registration shows that Dumaguete has assigned a different license number to the motorcycle than the original "temporary" one issued by Cebu.  So I asked if I should change the license plate number (Easy to do when you pay someone to make you up a plate).  I was told not to do that until the "official one" is released.  I have since sold the motorcycle and it will probably rot from old age before the "official one" ever catches up to it.

robert k
Posted
Posted

If I understand correctly, LTO themselves make the plates, only the metal "blanks" to make the plates are imported. The Philippines is fully capable to make the blanks also, there was no need to Export those jobs. The Philippines will have to start making something one day other than their top export, Filipinos. License plates would have been an easy place to start.:89:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2017 at 4:28 AM, Benington said:

Into the third year waiting for new plates for our two not new cars. The oldest had body work done, signs of rust removed.....the effect spoilt by the rusty plates.

This is a common issue and lament by all of us I think.

Benington, maybe you could take the plates off and paint them up a bit to look more presentable.:thumbsup:

Benington
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

This is a common issue and lament by all of us I think.

Benington, maybe you could take the plates off and paint them up a bit to look more presentable.:thumbsup:

I should have learned by now not to be an eternal optimist!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, sonjack2847 said:

I did hear that a Dutch company had something to do with the production of the plates.I also heard that lots of money paid went missing.I bought a new MB nearly a year and still have no plates.Just another day in the Phills.

News last September 2016

Last June, the Supreme Court temporarily stopped LTO from issuing some 700,000 license plates to motorists and from accepting more license plates from the Bureau of Customs. BOC donated the plates to LTO when the Dutch-Filipino consortium PPI-JKG Philippines Inc., the consignee that holds the supply contract with the LTO for the license plates, did not settle P40 million in taxes and duties. However, LTO said the SC decision came “late” since it had already distributed more than 90 percent of the 700,000 plates to vehicle and motorcycle owners. Meanwhile, Bautista said IPC also supports proposals of extending car registration validity to five years. At present, registration for a brand-new car is valid for three years and is renewed annually. The same proposal has been raised for the driver’s license. In response, LTO announced last month that it will initially start the implementation of the five-year validity of driver’s licenses this October. Under the present setup, professional and non-professional licenses are valid for three years.

Read more: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2016/09/13/delay-license-plate-issuance-497509