Barcelona

Jollygoodfellow
Message added by Jollygoodfellow

This topic is being watched. Read the rules. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Terrible just terrible what we are seeing around Europe.

We was just there a few weeks back and our hotel was right where the van was stopped, it could have been us on that street.

Walking down that street you get the local works vans driving down with there lights on and they just stay behind you, you have no fear at all that they would cause you any harm .

What is the answer to all this, i have no idea , many of these people are taken into the country and cared for , and this is what they give in return, is anywhere safe in this world i wonder.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Steve there is no answer to it all mate.

It can happen anywhere and anytime, what is the cause, hatred, why I do not know, I was always taught never bite the hand that feeds you.

They should of been left alone to kill each other instead of the West interfering.

Religion has no part in any of this, for a truly religious person could not deliberately  kill innocent people.

As Jake's  comments have inferred in the past......It's a ticking time bomb, Armageddon.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I just purchased airline tickets for October/November with Barcelona as our entry/exit city. Such an attack is a concern and we plan to take precautions. Instead of major metropolitan cities like Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, etc., our time will be spent visit smaller towns like Cuenca and Ronda. My thinking is they are a less likely target. Extremists prefer to target well known landmarks to maximize publicity

Benington
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I just purchased airline tickets for October/November with Barcelona as our entry/exit city. Such an attack is a concern and we plan to take precautions. Instead of major metropolitan cities like Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, etc., our time will be spent visit smaller towns like Cuenca and Ronda. My thinking is they are a less likely target. Extremists prefer to target well known landmarks to maximize publicity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/18/cambrils-attack-four-suspects-shot-dead-by-one-officer-police-say

Think again.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Benington said:

1 hour ago, Benington said:

Think again.

We will try to be careful.

Years ago, German national security, armed with machine guns, stopped our van several times. An English speaking officer eventually explained that a van similar to ours in color and description was being used by the Baader Meinhof terrorist group.  We changed travel plans and moved to Spain.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

RIP to the victims.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Terrible just terrible what we are seeing around Europe.

We was just there a few weeks back and our hotel was right where the van was stopped, it could have been us on that street.

Walking down that street you get the local works vans driving down with there lights on and they just stay behind you, you have no fear at all that they would cause you any harm .

What is the answer to all this, i have no idea , many of these people are taken into the country and cared for , and this is what they give in return, is anywhere safe in this world i wonder.

Your last sentence gives the answer - you reap what you sow.  Spain allowing 10's thousands of refugees into the country and they run riot.  Do you think they have any respect or caring for the fact that the country has accepted them of course not.  Closing borders forever is the answer and making immigrants apply in the appropriate way for migration to the country, like many others do.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

What is the answer to all this,

The answer? IMHO until the feel good, pussy footing, kumbaya, cant we all just get along, oh please don't hurt me because WE LOVE you, leaders realize that the world is engaged in an ideological clash of civilizations with a certain segment of the worlds population that neither approves no appreciates any aspect of our western culture or ideals nothing can be done but accept the casualties. This segment must be dug out root and branch.

The west combined to exterminate the Nazis but we didn't kill every breathing German nor their culture. Until the same is don't with "radical Islam" the body count will just increase. 

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

.....Walking down that street you get the local works vans driving down with there lights on and they just stay behind you, you have no fear at all that they would cause you any harm...

CNN this morning had both the Mayor and another top Barcelona official on....very complacent attitude...terrible thing, but locals and tourists should still come to stroll along the Ramblas etc etc. they said.

These pedestrianized shopping streets are common in many parts of Europe, but forgetting about terrorism for a moment, I have often thought what an uncomfortable mix it is to allow delivery vehicles, pedal cycles, motor cycles, even buses to travel along some of them.

So with the tempting environment they offer to terrorists I think the time has come to look at who is allowed to travel along them. For example, it could be phased in that deliveries could be only allowed with speed restricted vehicles, maybe battery powered to go green.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Benington said:

who is allowed to travel along them.

IMO that is still a passive measure. So vehicles of EVERY type are banned. So as they have done other places they carry knives in back packs. Are back packs banned next? If so, a fanatic can storm the kitchen of one of those restaurants in those areas and rampage. So all food must be prepared off site and then delivered and sold in tourist areas? Then a fanatic will put acid in a water bottle and spray folks in the face. Ban water bottles?

A wise general onse said "If you are not on offense you are on defense" and to my knowledge very few wars have been successfully won by being defensive.

• Like 2