Banks and bureaucracy

mogo51
Posted
Posted

When we first got here, we went to the Maybank as we met the 'manager' but I could not put my name on the a/c.  Does anyone know a bank that will allow you to open a bank a/c on a Tourist Visa?  I did this in Thailand no problem, but bureaucracy remains supreme here it seems.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

When we first got here, we went to the Maybank as we met the 'manager' but I could not put my name on the a/c.  Does anyone know a bank that will allow you to open a bank a/c on a Tourist Visa?  I did this in Thailand no problem, but bureaucracy remains supreme here it seems.

PNB BDO & BPI will if they think you are good for business BUT many banks here now insist on you having an ACR i card. Ron, are you on a BB just now? as this will tell them you are here for at least 1 year, also changing your Drivers license is good for them to asses you

I think we have covered this before but sometimes it is good to find a ExPat that has an account that can vouch for you, Anyone up there can do this for you?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

PNB BDO & BPI will if they think you are good for business BUT many banks here now insist on you having an ACR i card. Ron, are you on a BB just now? as this will tell them you are here for at least 1 year, also changing your Drivers license is good for them to asses you

I think we have covered this before but sometimes it is good to find a ExPat that has an account that can vouch for you, Anyone up there can do this for you?

Yes Jack, I have met an Aussie who says he can get me in at MetroBank?  I am sure they can defer this if they want, seems they just put rules in place that contradict the relevant authorities?  In Oz you have 100 pt check list , if you have passport and drivers licence,= 100 points, game over.  That would be too simple I suppose?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, mogo51 said:

Yes Jack, I have met an Aussie who says he can get me in at MetroBank?  I am sure they can defer this if they want,

Oh yes but have to say I hear some good things about Metro so I would say go for it mate, Had you been here I am sure you would have had little to no problem with a bank but......:whistling:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I think if you went to any bank with a couple hundred thousand they would an account.The last we tried Metro bank they wanted a utility bill which we don`t get in our names.So we went to PNB you will need some 2x2 pictures of yourself in most banks.Good luck mate it can seem like the world is stacked against you sometimes but you will get through,I did and I am thick.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ron, I opened an account at BPI with a few years back in Tagbiliran (Bohol) without too many issues to avoid foreign currency conversion fees from withdrawals from ATM's in PH.  Just showed my passport, visa extension and Aussie driver's licence and a "please help me" look on my face. Admittedly that was a few years ago and expats don't abound like they do in other places (well they didn't then) so the staff seemed a little unfamiliar with the process. Not much help I know but just a suggestion.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

When we first got here, we went to the Maybank as we met the 'manager' but I could not put my name on the a/c.

I have an account at Maybank and all they require is an ACR card, but if you are talking about a joint account with someone who is not your legal wife, then no way, no how.  But you can get your own account there.  I am living proof it can be done, as a tourist, on my own, with only passport and ACR card.  (Unless they have changed their policy.)

RBM
Posted
Posted

I would agree with Jack, hard to open an account now without ACR card. We struggled to open a joint dollar account even though we already had peso joint accounts opened some time ago. According to our friendly manager at BPI he can be reprimanded if he opens any account without the ACR.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I opened a Peso and a Pound account with the HSBC in Makati on a tourist visa using my Scottish address as proof. Strange I know but they wouldn't use my Philippines address as I hadn't lived there long enough. I forgot to mention I'd sold my Scottish property before arriving in the Philippines.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have an account at Maybank and all they require is an ACR card, but if you are talking about a joint account with someone who is not your legal wife, then no way, no how.  But you can get your own account there.  I am living proof it can be done, as a tourist, on my own, with only passport and ACR card.  (Unless they have changed their policy.)

Perhaps different banks have different rules. I have a joint BDO account with my SO and we are not married. All that was required was for me to have an ACR card. I did already have a sole BDO account for about a year so perhaps that helped.

Ken